Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Binky....Help!

Posted by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 4:34 PM
  • 35 Replies

My 22 month old. She uses the binky. I think she only uses it when her teeth hurt. Sometimes she uses it all day. However, I want her to get off of it. She needs it at bedtime too. I don't know what to do. its so much easier just for her to have it...lol

by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 4:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
michellej428
by Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 4:36 PM
1 mom liked this
I just took ds's away one day. It was a rough few days but he got over it!! Just gotta stick with it not give in when she's pitching a fit!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 4:45 PM
1 mom liked this

We let our DS have his until his 3rd birthday (he only used it for naps and bedtime after about 18 months).  I asked the dentist about it when he was about 2 years 9 months.  I had a new baby in the home (she was a month old), he was napping 3+ hours with it and sleeping 12 at night so the dentist said to let him keep it for all of our sakes!  They don't worry about permanent dental issues until after 3. 

Once we decided to get rid of it we prepared him for about a month and then the night of his 3rd birthday, he threw them away.  We took the garbage right out to the garage and that was that.  He woke up a few times thru the night looking for it but was easily soothed right back to sleep.  The next morning we gave him a special big boy present.  The 2nd night he slept perfectly and never had any night issues again!  His naps suffered for about a month but I kept our routine the same and got him back on track eventually.

Some people try binkie fairies, cutting off the tip, etc.  I just prefer to toss them and be done with it :)

Mimee1971
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 5:17 PM

Try to just let her use it for napping or car rides.  Also to sleep at night.  Or go cold turkey and take it away.  i am currently doing the first option and know i will have to make it disappear soon.  he is 15 months now.

Brooked18
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 7:06 PM
My dd is 4 ( just turned) and I'm all for getting rid of it but my dh says it comforts her and she'll get rid of it when she is ready
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
bebe_ju-rah
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 7:10 PM
Cut the tips off
Armywifeholcomb
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 8:22 PM
I told DD the dog ate them all bc she kept leaving them in the floor. It was hard at first but she was doing good until gma found one and gave it to her *facepalm* then we started it again. She was 1. My DS stopped at 7 months but now we are trying to get the thumb out of his mouth. Just need to toss them and she will get over it with time. It will be hard but you must stay strong!
OBImomma
by Silver Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 8:26 PM
We told dd when they got holes in them they had to go in the trash and that we weren't buying any more. When she bit holes in them she threw them out. One day there were none left. She never asked for one again.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ktina11
by Bronze Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 8:31 PM
Cut usage time down to naps and bedtime only. Be strict with this. We then explained the binky fairy (ours was called a pookie fairy) that brought a sleep item for security.Our boys got BuildABear friends. Never had an issue once they had their new friend. All 3 boys were off the paci/pookie by 3 but still have the friend for sleeping with.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
careyphotoo
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 9:40 PM
We lost one of dd in the car one day and didn't have another one with us and from then on she never had one she was about 14months. I would say try going cold turkey maybe try the binky fairy will come get them and leave a toy or something in that line for ur dd for all the binkies.
MommeisQueen
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 10:19 PM
Oh I feel your pain, my oldest son was three before he gave his up...we had tried just about everything. What finally worked was us cutting a tiny sliver off the tip of the paci everyday. He noticed the change right away but continued to suck until one day he could get any suction. I thought itnwas genius. The paci changed and so did he, he finally let it go. I think he said something like "paci for babies".
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)