Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

WWYD......Public, Private/Christian, or Home Schooling?

Posted by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 4:45 PM
  • 60 Replies

Poll

Question: In this world of craziness where would you prefer to put your child...........

Options:

Public School

Private/Christian School

Homeschooling

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 90

View Results

Our daughter has a late birthday (November), so she won't start school this fall but next (2014).  We have an option to put her in a Christian school (my mom works there and we would not have to pay tuition), BUT we do not have transportation for her.  I'd LOVE for her to go there, but couldn't get her there half the time.  The public school is right up the road (about a mile) and the bus runs at 7:05am.  We are kinda in the 'country' and its a very good school considering others in the county.  Its the school hubby went to.  I have no objection of her going there.  Its the bus ride I'm not too thrilled about.  I'm just not ready for schooling I guess..............

My SIL said she's going to homeschooling for her boys.  BUT she will just put them in front of a computer and let a certified teacher teach them.  And then will take them to a public school for a sport.  

by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 4:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 4:53 PM
2 moms liked this

Are you talking K and up?

Homeschooling is not something I would entertain so we choose private (Montessori) for preschool/pre-k and then public for K+.  We live in a fantastic district and I want my kids in a large school with all the benefits.  The bus would make me nervous at first too but, luckily, I won't have to worry about that until my son is in 6th grade because our school is right down the street!

Truth be told, you are never safe from crazy.  You just have to live your life and make decisions that are best for you and your family.

chcon
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 4:57 PM
1 mom liked this
I think that decision is up to you, a good kid will flourish in any of those situations in my opinion, unless you know the schools in the are have specific issues.
If you want the tremendous responsibility of homeschooling, that is a personal decision. No one can tell you it is right for you and your family, only you and your husband can decide that (or whichever option you choose).
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
myloves2
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 6:37 PM

My son goes to a charter school right now he is in kindergarten but I plan on putting him in a pricate school but so far I am happy with his school but when highschool starts I think I want to try to let him decide

SarahSuzyQ
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 6:47 PM
2 moms liked this
We took school districts into consideration when choosing our house. I want my son to be exposed to a variety of perspectives and experiences, and I feel that a quality public school with good parental involvement will provide that.
MrsApple
by Bronze Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 6:52 PM
1 mom liked this

We did private school for our daughter's preschool and pre-k years (the school also does higher grades as well) and we were going to continue with private school but then found out that the elementary school 2 minutes from us is one of the highest scoring schools in the state and heard so many good things about it from people who have/have had kids there so we decided to give it a try.This year is her first year there (kindergarten)and we LOVE it.She's thriving there,we love the staff,and it's like one big family there.She even started riding the bus the week after school started and we love her bus driver as well.If we move from this school district or things change,we'll consider our options ago but for now we are pleased.

mamamedic69
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 6:56 PM
2 moms liked this
I will be homeschooling our dd but that was a decision that hubby and I made when we were expecting. That's a personal decision between you and your hubby.
iansmommy9
by Silver Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 7:01 PM
2 moms liked this

We are hoping to send DS to private Christian school, but he won't go for another 2 or. 3 years. Our decisions are shaped based on curriculum p, Christian based principles, and the desire for a more individualized education plan. 

I'm.a non-practicing certified teacher and I wouldn't home school. 

kailu1835
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 7:01 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm pulling my son out and homeschooling him at the end of this school year, if not sooner.  I prefer private, but can't afford it at this point in time.  I don't want public school anywhere near my kids, and my son has only been there out of necessity because of no other options.  Now we have another option, and I am going to utilize it.

Silverkitty
by Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 7:24 PM

I homeschool my daughter, so I will homeschool my son.  He is almost 2.5 years old already working with  numbers, colors, shapes, and wants to learn to read.  He would be bored in a normal school.

preacherskid
by Bronze Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 7:31 PM

We will likely do public, the public schools here are the better choice between public and private, and I work so homeschooling them myself is out, and I don't want them homeschooled by anyone I know who is homeschooling as I do not agree with them in certain areas.  Plus I want my girls to continue social interaction with a wide range of people- homeschooling around here does not offer that, nor do the private schools in the area, I know because I went to two of them.  Any educational gaps I see I can fill in at home.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN