Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

WWYD......Public, Private/Christian, or Home Schooling?

Posted by   + Show Post

Poll

Question: In this world of craziness where would you prefer to put your child...........

Options:

Public School

Private/Christian School

Homeschooling

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 90

View Results

Our daughter has a late birthday (November), so she won't start school this fall but next (2014).  We have an option to put her in a Christian school (my mom works there and we would not have to pay tuition), BUT we do not have transportation for her.  I'd LOVE for her to go there, but couldn't get her there half the time.  The public school is right up the road (about a mile) and the bus runs at 7:05am.  We are kinda in the 'country' and its a very good school considering others in the county.  Its the school hubby went to.  I have no objection of her going there.  Its the bus ride I'm not too thrilled about.  I'm just not ready for schooling I guess..............

My SIL said she's going to homeschooling for her boys.  BUT she will just put them in front of a computer and let a certified teacher teach them.  And then will take them to a public school for a sport.  

by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 4:45 PM
Replies (51-60):
jjchick75
by Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 1:02 AM
1 mom liked this

We homeschool and wouldn't do it any other way. My daughter attended public school from K to middle of her 8th grade year. She was sexually assaulted at school and the school did very little about it. I pulled her immediately and she finished that year at a private christian school. Neither one of us were fond of that school and decided to try homeschooling and loved it! I'm now doing preschool lessons with my 4 year old and my 2.5 year old twins like to join as well. I am currently working on his Kindergarten curriculum for next year(I taught Kindergarten for 10 years and have a Masters in Education so I'm kind doing a combination of my own thing and bit and pieces of other curriculums.). My kids love it and I love it! We are apart of a co-op here in town and it povides us with so many oppurtunities! 

VanessaCB
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 12:36 PM
1 mom liked this

I feel so fortunate to live in good school district. There is actually only one school in the district. It's a charter k-8th which I absolutely love. My daughter is in 1st grade and is thriving there. The greatest joy is watching her be excited about school every single morning. I hated school growing up and I was a very shy girl, with low self esteem. I went to Los Angeles United School Districts schools my whole life and they are not the best schools.  From me growing up in a districts with hundreds of schools, to my daughter going to a district with only one school is great.  I know she is getting a far better education than I ever did. She is also so different than me when I was her age ......she is full of confidence and self esteem.  My son is going to a Head Start preschool right now about 4 miles from our home.  I don't know about Head Start in bigger cities, but this one is great.  He will be going to pre-K this coming fall at my daughter's school. They changed the entry date to Kindergarten to Oct 1 and my son misses the cut off by 12 days.  They just added the Pre-K program at our charter schools this year. I am so excited for my son to go there.

gardensparrow
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 3:00 PM

That's definitely a tough decision to make and I think there's pros and cons for each. So, like others have shared, you're ultimately the one who would know what fits best for your kids. But, if you're interested, I have heard of a book called Handbook on Choosing Your Child's Education: A Personalized Plan for Every Age and Stage by Maria Hernandez Ferrier that might help you determine the best choice for your family. I know from my time at Focus on the Family that they also have some articles on school choice on their website. So, just FYI. Well, I'll be praying for you-I know the Lord will lead you to the best decision for your kids!

rHOPEb
by Silver Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 3:19 PM

THANK YOU!

Quoting gardensparrow:

That's definitely a tough decision to make and I think there's pros and cons for each. So, like others have shared, you're ultimately the one who would know what fits best for your kids. But, if you're interested, I have heard of a book called Handbook on Choosing Your Child's Education: A Personalized Plan for Every Age and Stage by Maria Hernandez Ferrier that might help you determine the best choice for your family. I know from my time at Focus on the Family that they also have some articles on school choice on their website. So, just FYI. Well, I'll be praying for you-I know the Lord will lead you to the best decision for your kids!

gardensparrow
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 11:35 AM

You're so welcome! :) 

Quoting rHOPEb:

THANK YOU!

Quoting gardensparrow:

ChristieV
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 11:43 AM

Just out of curiousity, do you live in a bad school district or are you opposed to all public schools? Not wanting public school anywhere near your kids seems extreme. I love our public school here in NJ. Very well run with loving supportive teachers and great families....

Quoting kailu1835:

I'm pulling my son out and homeschooling him at the end of this school year, if not sooner.  I prefer private, but can't afford it at this point in time.  I don't want public school anywhere near my kids, and my son has only been there out of necessity because of no other options.  Now we have another option, and I am going to utilize it.

kailu1835
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 12:31 PM

I have been in 7 different states, with experiences in over 20 different schools (I'm a nanny, specializing in special needs) and I have had a few good experiences, but enough bad ones to concern me.  Then there is the curriculum I have seen at all grade levels, and I came to the conclusion that it is not something I want my kids around.  Too much indoctrination.

Quoting ChristieV:

Just out of curiousity, do you live in a bad school district or are you opposed to all public schools? Not wanting public school anywhere near your kids seems extreme. I love our public school here in NJ. Very well run with loving supportive teachers and great families....

Quoting kailu1835:

I'm pulling my son out and homeschooling him at the end of this school year, if not sooner.  I prefer private, but can't afford it at this point in time.  I don't want public school anywhere near my kids, and my son has only been there out of necessity because of no other options.  Now we have another option, and I am going to utilize it.

babiesbabybaby development

BostonMomma08
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 12:44 PM
1 mom liked this
Lucas goes to a private Christian preschool right now and he'll be there for the next year or two (they have kindergarten and he'll be there for that I'm just not 100% sure if I'm going to put him in kinder this coming fall or wait another year...) After that I'm not 100% sure where he's going to go. The public schools around here aren't great... There is an amazing Christian school nearby so I want to check that out, but unless we can get some kind of financial aid or scholarships idk if I could afford it... :/
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Yuriko_chan
by Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 12:54 PM

I wonder if your mom could pick her up and take her to school and bring her home on days that you could not? Then she would be going to the school you would love her to be going to.

rHOPEb
by Silver Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 2:27 PM

I wish she could.  But my mom lives 2seconds (literally) from the school and then we live about 15min or more from her.  And my mom is front office so she has to be at school by 7:15am and then can't leave until around 4:00pm.  That would be a long day for her (in my opinion) for the first few years of schooling, since she's used to sleeping past 8am.  I've been praying that if that's where God wants/needs her to be then He will give us transportation there.

Quoting Yuriko_chan:

I wonder if your mom could pick her up and take her to school and bring her home on days that you could not? Then she would be going to the school you would love her to be going to.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN