Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

WWYD......Public, Private/Christian, or Home Schooling?

Posted by   + Show Post

Poll

Question: In this world of craziness where would you prefer to put your child...........

Options:

Public School

Private/Christian School

Homeschooling

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 90

View Results

Our daughter has a late birthday (November), so she won't start school this fall but next (2014).  We have an option to put her in a Christian school (my mom works there and we would not have to pay tuition), BUT we do not have transportation for her.  I'd LOVE for her to go there, but couldn't get her there half the time.  The public school is right up the road (about a mile) and the bus runs at 7:05am.  We are kinda in the 'country' and its a very good school considering others in the county.  Its the school hubby went to.  I have no objection of her going there.  Its the bus ride I'm not too thrilled about.  I'm just not ready for schooling I guess..............

My SIL said she's going to homeschooling for her boys.  BUT she will just put them in front of a computer and let a certified teacher teach them.  And then will take them to a public school for a sport.  

by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 4:45 PM
Replies (11-20):
lilblu399
by Bronze Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 7:37 PM
1 mom liked this
I always wanted to do actual homeschooling not keeping kids home for cyber school, but my son really wants to go to school like his cousins so I am searching for an affordable, non religious private program. I live in Philadelphia and our schools are in terrible shape, about 30 are closing at the end of the year plus there are issues with behavior and discipline. I want a program that can challenge him and make sure that he can learn and grow at his own pace.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
collinsmommy0
by Silver Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 7:38 PM
The schools around here are either crap (because everyone who can afford to sends their child to private), private (7k & up a year, per child), or I can get a job in a high academic, crazy (like Kinders expected to read entering & 1st graders expected to write paragraphs)

I am hoping to homeschool through a local charter school. They give you money to buy a curriculum, a teacher visits you once a month to help guide you, & there are a few co-ops and homeschooling groups in the area. I've heard online public school for homeschooling is a PIA & takes hours & hours & hours a day. There are other ways to homeschool than online!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
workoutmom2b1g
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 7:44 PM
2 moms liked this

If I could afford to send all our kids to a private school I would until they are older and have been trained right. I just think there is more one on one attention able to be given at those schools. With that being said, I think public school can be great as long as you can stay involved, have them busy with activities and you know who their friends are. Good luck!

rHOPEb
by Silver Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 8:40 PM

That is what me and hubby have discussed.  There is more craziness at the grocery store or gas station than you would encounter at a public school!  The media just shows all the bad and will hype it up.  Anyway.....it will be from Kindergarten and on.  She won't turn 5yr until this Nov, so she will be almost 6yr next year.  She already knows most of what a preschooler knows.  The only thing we don't 'work' on at home is reading.

Quoting Luvmy2babies22:

Are you talking K and up?

Homeschooling is not something I would entertain so we choose private (Montessori) for preschool/pre-k and then public for K+.  We live in a fantastic district and I want my kids in a large school with all the benefits.  The bus would make me nervous at first too but, luckily, I won't have to worry about that until my son is in 6th grade because our school is right down the street!

Truth be told, you are never safe from crazy.  You just have to live your life and make decisions that are best for you and your family.

rHOPEb
by Silver Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 8:46 PM

Does she do well on the bus?  I've had some younger children get off the bus at my house and not be happy at how the older children treat them or talk.  

Quoting MrsApple:

We did private school for our daughter's preschool and pre-k years (the school also does higher grades as well) and we were going to continue with private school but then found out that the elementary school 2 minutes from us is one of the highest scoring schools in the state and heard so many good things about it from people who have/have had kids there so we decided to give it a try.This year is her first year there (kindergarten)and we LOVE it.She's thriving there,we love the staff,and it's like one big family there.She even started riding the bus the week after school started and we love her bus driver as well.If we move from this school district or things change,we'll consider our options ago but for now we are pleased.

aimesnyc
by Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 8:49 PM
1 mom liked this

Some of my most fun memories are of the bus ride home from school (I lived in the country as a kid).  So personally, I see nothing to fear in bus ride to and from school.  And I am all for a good public school.

MrsApple
by Bronze Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 8:51 PM

Yes!Our bus driver makes the kindergarteners sit in the front,and then first graders,second graders and so on so my daughter never has contact with the big kids on the bus.

Quoting rHOPEb:

Does she do well on the bus?  I've had some younger children get off the bus at my house and not be happy at how the older children treat them or talk.  

Quoting MrsApple:

We did private school for our daughter's preschool and pre-k years (the school also does higher grades as well) and we were going to continue with private school but then found out that the elementary school 2 minutes from us is one of the highest scoring schools in the state and heard so many good things about it from people who have/have had kids there so we decided to give it a try.This year is her first year there (kindergarten)and we LOVE it.She's thriving there,we love the staff,and it's like one big family there.She even started riding the bus the week after school started and we love her bus driver as well.If we move from this school district or things change,we'll consider our options ago but for now we are pleased.

rHOPEb
by Silver Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 8:54 PM

Oh!  Okay.  I hope this is how our buses are done too......Thanks!

Quoting MrsApple:

Yes!Our bus driver makes the kindergarteners sit in the front,and then first graders,second graders and so on so my daughter never has contact with the big kids on the bus.

Quoting rHOPEb:

Quoting MrsApple:

JenniL05
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 8:59 PM
1 mom liked this
I think it really does depend on the school district. Our district is notoriously bad so public was never an option for me. My son went to a private (non-religious) preschool and he now goes to a catholic school with high ratings. If I were to go second choice there is also a Montessori school in town that I looked into. It was between those two but I am personal friends with his teacher in the catholic school so that made me more comfortable. :) Good luck, I know it's not an easy decision!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Sandiekd21
by Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 10:15 PM

I wouldn't want my kids indoctrinated into any religion (even mine!) without my approval, so a Christian school is out.
Public school, too many kids just fall through the cracks.
Private school is too full of spoiled, bratty rich kids.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)