Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

WWYD......Public, Private/Christian, or Home Schooling?

Posted by   + Show Post

Poll

Question: In this world of craziness where would you prefer to put your child...........

Options:

Public School

Private/Christian School

Homeschooling

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 90

View Results

Our daughter has a late birthday (November), so she won't start school this fall but next (2014).  We have an option to put her in a Christian school (my mom works there and we would not have to pay tuition), BUT we do not have transportation for her.  I'd LOVE for her to go there, but couldn't get her there half the time.  The public school is right up the road (about a mile) and the bus runs at 7:05am.  We are kinda in the 'country' and its a very good school considering others in the county.  Its the school hubby went to.  I have no objection of her going there.  Its the bus ride I'm not too thrilled about.  I'm just not ready for schooling I guess..............

My SIL said she's going to homeschooling for her boys.  BUT she will just put them in front of a computer and let a certified teacher teach them.  And then will take them to a public school for a sport.  

by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 4:45 PM
Replies (21-30):
corrinacs
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 11:10 PM
1 mom liked this

Well, depends on the school.  Go to greatschools.com and see where that school rates on the list :).  That will give you a good clue as to how good the school is.  If its a good school, then you should have no problems taking here there.  I know, the bus ride is quite long :/.  That's one of hte downfalls of living in the county :/.  I grew up like that and doen't remember getting home until after dark until we moved closer to the city part of town.

Good luck :)

heartslove09
by Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 2:42 AM

I would say private school and then observe how she does.

rHOPEb
by Silver Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 6:43 AM

Thank you!  The school she would go to is a 9 out of 10......I will browse that website more when I get a chance.  

Quoting corrinacs:

Well, depends on the school.  Go to greatschools.com and see where that school rates on the list :).  That will give you a good clue as to how good the school is.  If its a good school, then you should have no problems taking here there.  I know, the bus ride is quite long :/.  That's one of hte downfalls of living in the county :/.  I grew up like that and doen't remember getting home until after dark until we moved closer to the city part of town.

Basherte
by Bronze Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 7:14 AM

Personally, I would prefer to have my son in a private, non religious school. 

I can't afford that. So public school it will be. I don't think I have what it takes to be a homeschooling mom. Plus my son really needs the interaction between other kids, and not just in play time. My son is in preschool now, and is doing really well.

wedding countdown

HotMommaStout
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 9:23 AM
1 mom liked this

I would try to find someone to carpool with and give the Christian school a try first. Could your mom pick her up on the way to work and bring her home after, or is there a reason she can't? My kids are all school aged(I'm not a member of this group, the post popped up when I logged on, but I drop them off at school and they ride the bus home. My kids love the bus. Most bus drivers will have a seating arrangement of some sort that separates big kids from little kids or seats similarly aged kids next to eachother if you are worried about bigger kids picking on her or something. I have considered homeschooling my oldest because of the stuff he learn from the other kids. It infuriates me beyond all belief. And he is the kind of kid that picks up behaviors and things from other kids. my two youngesr kids seem pretty immune so far. If I were homeschooling him, I would be purchasing a full curriculum, at least the first year or two to guide me.

zinniadaisy
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 9:25 AM
1 mom liked this

Our kids go to pre-school through our Church and then attend Catholic elementary school (K-8) - that's the plan for now...

mommaFruFru
by Silver Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 9:38 AM
if the private schools in our were less religion based they would be an option for us.

My boys both attend public school, but we are an out of district transfer, since our "zoned school" is horrid. So I take them daily.

Why couldn't you get her to the private school?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
corrinacs
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 10:27 AM
1 mom liked this

That's a phenominal score :) :).  Its rare for a school to get 10out of 10, but 9 I'd be comfortable with :).

Quoting rHOPEb:

Thank you!  The school she would go to is a 9 out of 10......I will browse that website more when I get a chance.  

Quoting corrinacs:

ambermario4ever
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 10:51 AM
1 mom liked this

If I could send my children to a private school I would make sure they got there everyday even if some nights they needed to stay with my in laws ( in your case with your mom). But we can not afford it so I will be homeschooling next year.

coala
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 10:52 AM
1 mom liked this

We have chosen what is right for our family.  I love our choice and my girls are thriving.  I can tell you that my K (who started 3 weeks ago) is already doing the work of a 1st grader (at this point in the school year) in our county.  My child would be so bored in a classroom, not to mention that her teacher would be sending notes home b/c she just can't sit still (she is busy....not adhd).  She learns as she moves and so do most kids like this.  I have found activities that they enjoy where they are out of the house for a few hours a few days a week.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN