Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

WWYD......Public, Private/Christian, or Home Schooling?

Posted by   + Show Post

Poll

Question: In this world of craziness where would you prefer to put your child...........

Options:

Public School

Private/Christian School

Homeschooling

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 90

View Results

Our daughter has a late birthday (November), so she won't start school this fall but next (2014).  We have an option to put her in a Christian school (my mom works there and we would not have to pay tuition), BUT we do not have transportation for her.  I'd LOVE for her to go there, but couldn't get her there half the time.  The public school is right up the road (about a mile) and the bus runs at 7:05am.  We are kinda in the 'country' and its a very good school considering others in the county.  Its the school hubby went to.  I have no objection of her going there.  Its the bus ride I'm not too thrilled about.  I'm just not ready for schooling I guess..............

My SIL said she's going to homeschooling for her boys.  BUT she will just put them in front of a computer and let a certified teacher teach them.  And then will take them to a public school for a sport.  

by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 4:45 PM
Replies (31-40):
NoahsCoolMama
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 11:09 AM
1 mom liked this

My son is in 2nd Grade and has always been in private/christian school. We do not know any different. We have always been happy with his education.

LucyHarper
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 11:12 AM

Public school, as long as theres a good school in your district, I see no reason not to. My kids love their school. You might want to check though, because in our district if you live within two miles of the school, you don't get bus services. 

Anliena
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 11:30 AM
1 mom liked this
We are homeschooling but like pp said, it was something dh and I agreed on when I was still pregnant with my first. He has a late birthday too (dec) and wont be old enough for k this year which im totally ok with. He isnt ready for structured school yetand I really do believe people push theor kids to early with school now.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
harream
by Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 12:34 PM

I picked private christian school which is what we would like to do but they are so expensive we don't know if we can afford it :-( so now I'm thinking about maybe doing public through 6th or maybe even 8th then homeschooling for high school.

rHOPEb
by Silver Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 1:07 PM

Yes, I'm worried about her picking up bad habbits from others.  Its so hard to 'undo' when she's been around her cousins!  I know she needs to learn and such, but there is just some things kids her age do NOT need to know!  (or at least in my opinion......such as sex and cursing)  And, yes I know I can't keep her in a 'bubble' and blahblahblah.  I just don't want her to grow up before she has to.  Anyway......my mom lives 2mi from said-christian school and we are about 17mi (+) away, so she would have to back-track.  It would have my daughter leaving the house BEFORE 7am and then getting home around 5pm every day.  

Quoting HotMommaStout:

I would try to find someone to carpool with and give the Christian school a try first. Could your mom pick her up on the way to work and bring her home after, or is there a reason she can't? My kids are all school aged(I'm not a member of this group, the post popped up when I logged on, but I drop them off at school and they ride the bus home. My kids love the bus. Most bus drivers will have a seating arrangement of some sort that separates big kids from little kids or seats similarly aged kids next to eachother if you are worried about bigger kids picking on her or something. I have considered homeschooling my oldest because of the stuff he learn from the other kids. It infuriates me beyond all belief. And he is the kind of kid that picks up behaviors and things from other kids. my two youngesr kids seem pretty immune so far. If I were homeschooling him, I would be purchasing a full curriculum, at least the first year or two to guide me.

CJTC0911
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 4:14 PM
1 mom liked this
I plan to put my children in a private preschool & we'll see how the schools are where we will be living when the kids get to K+!
AHmom103
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 4:16 PM

I would much prefer to homeschool our kids, but my husband has a very big problem with that, so they'll be going to public school, because the closest good Christian school that we could actually afford is an hour away, and even though I could drive them, there would be a lot of days in the winter that we couldn't safely get them to school.

rHOPEb
by Silver Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 4:27 PM

My hubby is very much against homeschooling too!  But I babysit inside our home and have doing the preschooling stuff.  She turned 4yr this past Nov and can do lots, but is VERY stubborn.  So, I'm wondering if homeschooling wouldn't even work.  hahaha!  

Quoting AHmom103:

I would much prefer to homeschool our kids, but my husband has a very big problem with that, so they'll be going to public school, because the closest good Christian school that we could actually afford is an hour away, and even though I could drive them, there would be a lot of days in the winter that we couldn't safely get them to school.

AHmom103
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 4:29 PM
1 mom liked this

Yeah, I've done the preschool stuff with my oldest, and I think she would benefit from homeschooling, because she'd be able to work at her pace, not the entire classrooms. She's very bright, and picks up on things almost instantly, so I think she'll be bored out of her mind at public school.

Quoting rHOPEb:

My hubby is very much against homeschooling too!  But I babysit inside our home and have doing the preschooling stuff.  She turned 4yr this past Nov and can do lots, but is VERY stubborn.  So, I'm wondering if homeschooling wouldn't even work.  hahaha!  

Quoting AHmom103:

SlightlyPerfect
I just don't understand why some people choose to live in filth.
Yesterday at 9:27 AM
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 6:07 PM

I would never put DD in a Christian school, but if we could afford it I'd send her to private school. We just moved to a great school district, though, so we'll see how she does in public school.

slightlyperfect

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)