Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

bed time sucks

Posted by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 10:55 AM
  • 7 Replies
My three year old DD looses her mind at bed time some nights and throses horrible tantrums,last night was one of those nights. I lost my mind and spanked her. I know it was wrong of me and I feel like a pieace of sh@t now. I don't know what do do any more.
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 10:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
babygomez
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 11:51 AM

Hope the situation gets better.

January1964
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 11:54 AM

Sounds about right. My dd is nearly 4 and every night sucks. I just try to stay really calm. Sometimes, I tell her "I'll come back when you are ready." Meaning, I lie down with her to help her fall asleep (my bad, I know). She'll either "read" in bed or throw books off the shelves until she's ready to calm down. Sometimes, my husband does yoga with her before bed. It's tough.

BipolarMom09
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 12:19 PM

I use to DRED bedtime too! My oldest DS will be 4 in March and I have a 2 year old DS and am currently 6 months pregnant. My DH works full time and has classes full time, so he is rarely home anymore.

What we did was start a bedtime routine. It took about 3-6 days for them to get the hang of it but now they enjoy it. We started this routine mostly because our oldest was still in bed with us and since I am pregnant and my husband missed sleeping next to me in the same bed, we had to get him out! So, we brought his toddler bed into our room and got him to sleep in it. Most nights he will sleep all night but lately he has been up a few times through the night. Now my DH sleeps in bed with me again after two years!! :)

We start with baths at 7ish pm and then they have a snack around 8pm and the TV typically goes off around 830pm. I also started giving them their milk around a half hour before bed, in big boy cups rather than them going to bed with sippy cups. We go up to bed around 9pm and we read 3 stories and then it is lights out. My husband or I will sit on the end of his bed or across the room in our bed until he falls asleep. He has really gotten use to it and loves it now. Granted, my husband has a new work schedule so things have been a little off with our routine but not too off.

Hope this helps and you have better nights ahead! I firmly believe though that children love routines and are easy to handle when they know what to expect day to day. This worked wonders for my boys and while it took a week and it was a very looong week of putting them back in bed and being firm with them and not giving in, it was sooo worth it! ;)

hugs

PAmommy32
by Bronze Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 1:21 PM

Do you know why she throws the tantrums?  Is she just trying to get out of going to bed, is she scared of something, is she overstimulated at bedtime?  If you can pinpoint the issue it will be easier for you to address.

Don't stress over the temporary meltdown on your part, it happens.  If you realize you made a mistake and feel bad about it you will be extra careful not to make that same mistake again.

MalakbelLacuna
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 2:40 PM

oh wow

my two older have never given me trouble like that

sometimes my four year old will stomp a little bit on his way to his bed, but I havent ever encountered a tantrum over bedtime!!

momof2891
by Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 2:52 PM
Do y'all have a bedtime routine set up? We have a routine set up that works really well. Dd gets home from school at 4:15, she gets a snack and we do whatever homework she has, then I start supper and we eat around 6, then they get to watch one show, then it's bath and medicine time, then we read two books and then it's bedtime. Most nights it works great!! They are usually in bed by 8:30. Dd has to be up by 7 in order to be at the bus stop by 7:45.
On Friday and Saturday nights they can stay up a little later. Sometimes my 3 year old will throw a fit but that is usually when he is super tired. When he does that, we sit in the rocking chair and listen to music for about 10 minutes. He will usually fall asleep while we are rocking.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mayalove
by New Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 4:24 PM
When she was going to daycare we had a bedtime routine but she has not been in daycare for two months. The tentums started two months ago when my mil came. She will be here for another month. My dh is the one to put her to bed and he is not consistant with her.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)