Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Valentine's Day Fun Challenge Day 2: Valentine Treats

Posted by   + Show Post

It's time to have your kids help you in the kitchen! Today's activity is Valentine rice krispies treats! This is an easy and inexpensive treat that is great for preschool parties or just a fun treat at home. Your toddlers and preschoolers will have so much fun helping make these! My kids helped measure the ingredients, cut out the heart shapes, and decorate with sprinkles!

INGREDIENTS:

• 3 tablespoons of butter
  • 1 package (10 oz) regular marshmallows or 4 cups miniature marshmallows
  • 6 cups crisped rice cereal (aka Rice Krispies)
  • Candy melts or white chocolate chips
  • Food coloring, if desired
  • Sprinkles

DIRECTIONS:

1. Melt the butter in a large saucepan over low heat. Add the marshmallows and stir until completely melted. Remove from heat.
  2. Mix in the crisped rice cereal. Stir until well coated.
  3. Spread the mixture using a buttered spatula or waxed paper evenly into an 11×17-inch rimmed baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Cut the treats into heart shapes with a 2- 3-inch cookie cutter.
  4. Melt the candy melts or white chocolate chips according the package directions. Stir in a few drops of food coloring, if you’d like. Dip the edges of the treats into the candy and decorate with sprinkles. Allow the candy to cool and set before serving.
  5. Best if served the same day.

Do your kids ever help out in the kitchen? What are your favorite things to make with your kids?

If you missed yesterday's activity you can find it here. If you haven't signed up for the Valentine's Day Fun Challenge yet, you can do so here.

by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 11:57 AM
Replies (21-30):
krn210
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 12:32 PM

My 3 year old daughter loves to help in the kitchen. She is really fascinated with eggs. Lol. I love making cookies with her. Seeing her little face light up when she "did it" melts my heart and makes the extra clean up all worth while. :-)

wintersdaughter
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 12:33 PM
My older kids love to help in the kitchen, my toddler though likes to sit at my feet and bang on pots and pans. It's his favorite time of the day. I think that cookies are still my favorite to make with them
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
jendawgrox2004
by Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 12:36 PM

My daughter loves mixing things. My son just likes to watch so far. I probably won't make these. I don't have any marshmellows.

Mkittysamom
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 12:43 PM

Yes my two year old loves to help! We will make these tonight but I may have to substitute a different cereal, haven't gone grocery shopping! Thanks!

got3boyz

My kids like to help mix things in the kitchen.  They love when I mak muffins.  My kids will love these, they like rice krispee treats!!

klamomma2

my kids love helping me with anything in the kitchen, they enjoy baking cookies.  My daughter loves using the electric mixer.

These treats are adorable, we will have to make them after school today or tomorrow.

AspensMama1537
by Bronze Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 12:44 PM
Those look yummy!
OBImomma
by Silver Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 12:45 PM
My kids always help in the kitchen. Wether or not they're invited. We love to bake together!
Stacie03
by Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 12:47 PM
Yum! My older kids 5&2 love helping in the kitchen. Just this morning my 5 y/o made pancakes for breakfast. The kids and DF would love those treats
scarletlolita76
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 12:54 PM
DS loves to help in the kitchen! Our favorite to make is homemade chocolate chip cookies!!! :) Yummy :D
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)