Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Valentine's Day Fun Challenge Day 2: Valentine Treats

Posted by   + Show Post

It's time to have your kids help you in the kitchen! Today's activity is Valentine rice krispies treats! This is an easy and inexpensive treat that is great for preschool parties or just a fun treat at home. Your toddlers and preschoolers will have so much fun helping make these! My kids helped measure the ingredients, cut out the heart shapes, and decorate with sprinkles!

INGREDIENTS:

• 3 tablespoons of butter
  • 1 package (10 oz) regular marshmallows or 4 cups miniature marshmallows
  • 6 cups crisped rice cereal (aka Rice Krispies)
  • Candy melts or white chocolate chips
  • Food coloring, if desired
  • Sprinkles

DIRECTIONS:

1. Melt the butter in a large saucepan over low heat. Add the marshmallows and stir until completely melted. Remove from heat.
  2. Mix in the crisped rice cereal. Stir until well coated.
  3. Spread the mixture using a buttered spatula or waxed paper evenly into an 11×17-inch rimmed baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Cut the treats into heart shapes with a 2- 3-inch cookie cutter.
  4. Melt the candy melts or white chocolate chips according the package directions. Stir in a few drops of food coloring, if you’d like. Dip the edges of the treats into the candy and decorate with sprinkles. Allow the candy to cool and set before serving.
  5. Best if served the same day.

Do your kids ever help out in the kitchen? What are your favorite things to make with your kids?

If you missed yesterday's activity you can find it here. If you haven't signed up for the Valentine's Day Fun Challenge yet, you can do so here.

by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 11:57 AM
Replies (41-50):
heidi_val
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 1:21 PM
mine are alittle to small right now
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
smac28
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 1:23 PM

I cannot wait to do these! My son is only 14 months but I always have him in there with me while I bake 

mmtosam06
by Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 1:29 PM
Gonna do this with dd later she is home today and tomorrow sick:(
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
baby7810
by Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 1:34 PM

i love making riice crispies!!! my dd is only 2 and she has helped a little when baking but nothing other than that

Bob192
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 1:41 PM

Cute.  My kids love to cook!  We like to make cookies.

MommeisQueen
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 1:41 PM
My daughter and I made heart shaped rice krispy treats for her first grade class a couple of years ago. She love to help me in the kitchen. Her favorites are chocolate chip cookies and lasagna. My favorite is anything that includes a veggie and a dip.
countrygirlkat
by Silver Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 1:51 PM
My kids love to help out in the kitchen! Mostly they help out when I am baking or when I am making things like pizza.
aj2011
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 1:55 PM

My DS is only 21 months... he tries to help, but mostly gets in the way. By chance is it okay to use other shapes? I don't have heart shaped cut outs nor the dip for the treat.

CafeMom Tickers
ShhhItsASecret
by Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 2:04 PM
Both my kids love helping in the kitchen
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
marisab
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 2:05 PM

they are starting to but w edont have  akitchen table yet

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)