Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

keeping the clothes and diaper on at night

Posted by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 11:10 AM
  • 10 Replies

My daughter will be 2 next week, and we have been having some issues with her keeping her clothes and diaper on at night. I would say that she is pretty much potty trained during the day time, but not at night. She is very good about letting us know she needs to potty, and doing it herself. I only have to help her wipe after a bowel movement and sometimes putting her diaper back on. Now, she HATES having a poopy diaper and refuses to poop in her diaper if we don't have her potty seat. She uses the big potty almost 100% of the time for that. She is really beginning to hate having wet diapers, especially at night. Almost every night for the past two weeks, she has taken her clothes off and her diaper off just because it is wet. She also tries changing into a new one and usually pees on/in it too. Last night, she peed on her bed because she was trying to do this.
Does anyone have any advice with this? I'm not sure how to go about beginning night potty training. She is still young, but learns very quickly
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 11:10 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
aimesnyc
by Bronze Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 11:43 AM

I don't know about potty training yet (Charlie is only 15 months), but can you in the meantime let her know to call for you when she gets up at night with a wet diaper if she needs help?  Is she wearing pull-ups?

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

MomOfNolan
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 11:50 AM

You might try a few different diaper/pull up combinations to see if she can get them on easier?  Obviously when she is asleep, the lack of bladder control is unconscious.  My son was a little older when he potty trained and hadn't been wetting at night for quite a while, so I'm not sure about potty training at night alone. I didn't/don't know how you go about that...sorry! 

PEEK05
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 11:51 AM

Maybe pull ups at night? I know there is no difference but she might keep them on more.  :/

We just put her our daughter in panties for night at the same time as we were training during the day, and she got both down within a couple of days, but all kids are different.

.Angelica.
by Angie on Feb. 5, 2013 at 12:00 PM

my kids so far have not had any problems with this. here's a bump

LoveonHollySt
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 12:16 PM

It is simple.  No drinks about 30 min before bed.  Have her go right before she goes to bed.  Wake her up and have her go again right before you go to bed.  You might hear some screaming and crying.  Have her go again right when she wakes up.  If she is able to hold it through the night for 2 weeks without any issues you are set.  Until then keep her in large onsies if she cannot do buttons.

leinaala09
by Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 12:32 PM

She wears pull ups only during the day and those are worse for night time for her. She is more prone to take them off at night, and I don't think they soak as well as a diaper. She always calls for me, but is usually already naked and diaperless by that point. She has not been going to sleep very well lately because she is scared of the dark, regardless of how many nightlights we have on in her room.

So, basically, it does not matter what type of diaper/pull up used, if she wears the jammie onesies or a two piece, how long before bedtime we stop the drinks, or how many times we go potty before bedtime, something is always bound to happen.
:/
JoanahLee
by Bronze Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 1:17 PM
1 mom liked this

If the issue is keeping the diaper on you can cut the feet off of footie pjs and put them on backwards, so the zipper is in the back and she wont be able to take them off, but it sounds like shes ready for night time potty. 

What about pull ups that she can take on and off herself and a little potty chair in her room for nite time? 

michiganmom5150
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 1:20 PM
Can she get out of bed? Like not in a crib or anything? Maybe get her some pull ups and a potty for in her room. Her bladder just can't handle the overnight yet.
proudmommy5994
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 2:46 PM

My 4 year old still isn't night time potty trained. We use "Good Nights". She said they feel more like underwear. She used to do the same thing, but she was about 10-11 months old... Not sure how to help. Maybe put a new diaper beside her bed if she insists on doing it.

prettymomma1204
by Bronze Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 3:45 PM
that's got to be so frustrating for her. i would stop her drinks an hour before bed, take her potty when she goes to bed and then again when you go to bed. she just isn't physically ready to night train all the way yet.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)