Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Would you allow your child(ren) to....

Posted by   + Show Post
Play with a schoolmate whose parents are gay? I ask because today at preschool a little girl (Whom we will call Sally) that my girls play with almost everyday told them that she can't play with them anymore. Because Sally's mother told her that I'm a lesbian and I date women. (Which yes I am and I do. But I don't feel that is any of this other mothers concern!) My girls know I date women. My twins remember my ex. I explained to them early on that some people have a mommy and a daddy. While others have 2 mommys or 2 daddys. And sometimes kids only have a mommy or a daddy. But all that matters is that the child is loved and cared for. My girls were seriously hurt that Sallys mom told her that she can't play with them because of something that I honestly feel is totally out of my control! So ladies would you allow your child(ren) to play with someone whose parents are gay?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 8:56 PM
Replies (21-30):
littleangie
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 10:30 PM

I feel sorry for poor Sally to have such a narrow minded mommy. 

slvrbtrfly
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 10:31 PM
Unfortunately people can be so damn close minded. I wouldn't give a crap if the kids parents are gay. I teach my kids to love and treat everyone with respect no matter what. The world would be much better off if people learned to be more accepting.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JCKitten87
by Kat on Feb. 5, 2013 at 10:34 PM
My response exactly...

Quoting do11face:

Of course!

But I'm not a bigoted asshole.
Unfortunately, there are a lot of those out there.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
preacherskid
by Bronze Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 10:35 PM

As long as I have met the parents I don't care.  Love your kids, show me I can trust you, and sure, my girls can play :)

mama.samm.2.3
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 11:04 PM
I too was appalled that someone would be so close minded and judgemental. I was so hurt when my girls brought it up to me. But they seem so unphased by it. I mean seriously my kids wouldn't have any friends if I told them they could only be friends with kids whose parents are gay! I've taught and am still teaching my kids that we don't judge anyone for any reason. My heart hurts for Sally as well. I hope she is able to grow up and see the light. And that one day she can realize that the things her mother taught her are very hurtfull.

Quoting SarahSuzyQ:

WHAT???

I'm completely appalled that this happened to you and to your daughters. I'm very sorry. I want my child to be around adults who are responsible, caring, supportive, and trustworthy. Gender and sexual orientation have nothing to do with that.

I hope you will find more families that treat your family with respect and kindness, and I hope that Sally has a chance to see a bigger world outside of her mother's prejudice and ignorance.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ejsmom4604
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 11:12 PM
1 mom liked this

Most definitely. What happens behind closed bedroom doors is none of my or my childrens business. My expectations mirror those that have already been stated. Something that pretty much most every parent expects. That our child is safe, having fun, and that I get to know the parents and have an open line of communication just in case something happens. Lets face it, kids are kids, and do silly things and get hurt. I want my children's friends parent's to feel comfortable calling me and know I won't freak out and vice versa. 

2curly
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 11:14 PM

I would have no problem with it. 

erinsmom1964
by Carrie on Feb. 5, 2013 at 11:25 PM

Of course I would....wouldn't care at all.

yayasdaughter
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 11:28 PM
1 mom liked this

Let me show you a quote I kinda like from Louis CK:

hollydaze1974
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 11:33 PM
Yep, sure would!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)