Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

*pic pg2* Valentines appropriate for preschool?

Posted by   + Show Post
We got Batman valentines for my sons preschool class. The teacher will hand them out. I dunno if the kids will really look at them until they get home. But we got home and I saw his Valentine's come with magnets you put on them to go on the fridge. At first I thought that was kewl but now I'm worried about preschoolers and magnets. Should I put the magnets on or no?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 10:52 AM
Replies (11-20):
Mipsy
by Silver Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 11:35 AM
I just looked and they aren't how I thought they were. I'm posting a pic

Quoting LucyHarper:

What kind of magnets are they? Like flat magnets, or like plastic with little circle magnets on the back? If its the little circle magnets, you are mostly safe if they are preschool age, but just in case I probably wouldn't send the magnets in.

Mipsy
by Silver Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 11:36 AM

This is them. I didn't realize this is what they looked like. They are pretty big.
Aleta775
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 11:37 AM

I don't think it is about me having an extra obligation rather than me wanting to take an extra precaution. Besides, a lot of parents would just take those extra objects or candy and just throw them away so they don't have to worry about them. Then what? You spent money on an extra thing that just got tossed into the trash. 

Quoting Supervane:

Of course there are a tons of options, but we can't protect everyone if that's the goal then no cards period because what if someone gets a paper cut! Honestly I think a magnet is hammerless for preschoolers. Is it nice to worry about smaller siblings yeah it is, but it's not an obligation. The obligation would be on the parent in what they do or don't allow in their home.

Quoting Aleta775:

There are a lot of options for Valentine's Day cards. I would feel very guilty if I let my child pass out something to their classmates that eventually caused a problem later. Heck you can even make your own cards. You don't have to pass out candy and trinkets along with them. 

Quoting Supervane:

Wouldn't it be best for parents who have smaller kids at home to take precautions.

I know I went they every single one of my kids Valentine cards last year to make sure it was stuff she could play with or eat. I would never expect another parent to do my job for me

Quoting Aleta775:

This. I would be a bit cautious because while a preschooler may not put a magnet in their mouth, a younger sibling might. 

Quoting othermom:

I think it depends on how big the magnets are, maybe call and ask the teacher

Supervane
by Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 11:38 AM
1 mom liked this
I'm with you on that, my daughter has a dye allergy so I had to disappear pretty much every red lollipop. Which last year she received 34 Valentines. This year there are 48 preschoolers.
I know alot! we made friendship bracelets this year.
Maybe just ask if the cards will passed out at the end if the day our near the end, if so then your good to go.

Quoting Mipsy:

I 100% agree there. My son has food allergies and instead of asking no one give candy out, we go through and get rid of the bad candy and keep the safe candy.

Quoting Supervane:

Wouldn't it be best for parents who have smaller kids at home to take precautions.

I know I went they every single one of my kids Valentine cards last year to make sure it was stuff she could play with or eat. I would never expect another parent to do my job for me

Quoting Aleta775:

This. I would be a bit cautious because while a preschooler may not put a magnet in their mouth, a younger sibling might. 

Quoting othermom:

Supervane
by Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 11:40 AM
Those definitely look pretty big,

Quoting Mipsy:

This is them. I didn't realize this is what they looked like. They are pretty big.

Mipsy
by Silver Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 11:44 AM
1 mom liked this
Yeah, and heavy. I think I will bring one Monday and ask the teacher. If all else fails, we at least have more magnets now, lol

Quoting Supervane:

Those definitely look pretty big,

Quoting Mipsy:

Supervane
by Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 11:45 AM
Well if they're going to get thrown away why even worry about a sibling...

I'm not wanting to start shit with you or anything I just believe in each parent taking responsibility on their own lives and lives of their own offspring. I hate it when grown adults don't take responsibility - not saying you did or didn't with your statement. I'm saying in general. When people try to blame others or pass on responsibility

Quoting Aleta775:

I don't think it is about me having an extra obligation rather than me wanting to take an extra precaution. Besides, a lot of parents would just take those extra objects or candy and just throw them away so they don't have to worry about them. Then what? You spent money on an extra thing that just got tossed into the trash. 

Quoting Supervane:

Of course there are a tons of options, but we can't protect everyone if that's the goal then no cards period because what if someone gets a paper cut! Honestly I think a magnet is hammerless for preschoolers. Is it nice to worry about smaller siblings yeah it is, but it's not an obligation. The obligation would be on the parent in what they do or don't allow in their home.

Quoting Aleta775:

There are a lot of options for Valentine's Day cards. I would feel very guilty if I let my child pass out something to their classmates that eventually caused a problem later. Heck you can even make your own cards. You don't have to pass out candy and trinkets along with them. 

Quoting Supervane:

Quoting Aleta775:

Quoting othermom:

Aleta775
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 11:52 AM

You also have to understand that for me I have to think this way. I was a teacher and I hope to go back to teaching when my dd is in school full time. I am used to expecting very little from parents. I know it is bad to say that but it is the truth. I've seen some truly shitty parents that didn't pay attention to their kids at all. I simply cannot get past my habit of making sure MY bases are covered. Does that make sense? 

Quoting Supervane:

Well if they're going to get thrown away why even worry about a sibling...

I'm not wanting to start shit with you or anything I just believe in each parent taking responsibility on their own lives and lives of their own offspring. I hate it when grown adults don't take responsibility - not saying you did or didn't with your statement. I'm saying in general. When people try to blame others or pass on responsibility

prettymomma1204
by Bronze Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 3:59 PM
i wouldn't send the magnets. save them for a different time. the kids will enjoy their valentines just as much without them and you won't have to worry about swollowed magnets. they shouldn't have added them to begin with for little kids.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
corrinacs
by Platinum Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 4:09 PM

Same here :).  Instead of giving out candy, we are giving out "coloring scrolls".  I got coloring books from teh dollar store as well as some balloon ribbon.  Roll up about 5 pages per child and tie it with the ribbon and make it all curly.  I also put some foam stickers in the bag too :).   That way no one's left out!

Quoting Mipsy:

I 100% agree there. My son has food allergies and instead of asking no one give candy out, we go through and get rid of the bad candy and keep the safe candy.

Quoting Supervane:

Quoting Aleta775:

Quoting othermom:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)