Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

stuck up meetup moms

Posted by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 11:56 AM
  • 30 Replies
I'm a sahm, have only one LO and we have no family here. It's been a little hard to find friends in my area especially since I live in a small town. I take my dh to the park when its nice but sometimes we'll drive to the city to go to the mall since they have a little play area. What sucks is that I have to make sure I go at a certain time cuz the meetup moms take over the whole area nd not only that, I assume because ur not in their group they make sure they don't acknowledge u nd make sure their kids stay together nd so my kid doesn't have the chance to make friends. My dh is super friendly nd it hurt that she didn't want to go back the other day cuz she said no one wanted to be her friend nd she wasn't having fun. She's only 2 1/2. It's not her fault she's not in the group. Could it also be that it's cuz I'm Hispanic nd they're all white? I once thought of trying to join a group but not anymore. Just venting on how mean people can be. I can take it but I don't want my kid to go through this at such a young age. I hope meetup moms in other areas aren't the same.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 11:56 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
hollydaze1974
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 12:23 PM
2 moms liked this
No, race has nothing to do with it. " meet up" mom will typically " stick together" like a clic"in high school. It's not personal , yet it is.....I'm sorry, I'm Caucasian and I have had the same thing happen to me and my LO. I'm sorry, what seems to happen is they live in the same neighborhood or husband work together, or they went to school or some other connection. You,, me..., we are outsiders, meaning our children are, too to them.
I hate it's that way, but it is... But it isn't racially biased ... It's simply biased period.
PEEK05
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 12:29 PM

I doubt it's because you are Hispanic.  I left my meetup mom group because they were all older and made it seem like I was just a juvenile when I was around them.  I am in a much better group and love it. 

itsamadfrenzy
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 12:55 PM

I am not and never was in a meet up mom group because I simply don't believe you should have to pay to be friends with people.

You dont have to join the group but have you ever tried to start a conversation with them first? I take my son out and about all the time and bump into mommy groups that aren't the friendliest but I will normally talk to them just so we aren't all standing around in awkward silence. 

corrinacs
by Platinum Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 1:05 PM
1 mom liked this

hey,

Im sorry they have treated you that way.  When I was in a meetup group, we'd introduce ourselves and let them know that we were a group and how they could join with their children (if they specified they needed it).  How nasty of them!  Perhaps you should speak up next time.

Good luck!!!

PAmommy32
by Bronze Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 1:41 PM

I am in a moms club and it is the complete opposite.  Everyone is super friendly and welcoming.  Seems pretty horrible that they would intentioanlly ignore you and keep your daughter from playing with their kids.  Sorry you had to have that experience.

AleaKat
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 1:42 PM
Moms here are exactly the same way. I've been here 5 years and I'm just now starting to make a couple mommy friends.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ballerossandra
by New Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 1:51 PM

Some mom just think they are superior. Let it go.good luck

babygomez
by Silver Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 1:52 PM

I've never joined such groups, I am not interested. My kids play with each other, with their cousins, and with us (mommy & daddy). Thankfully, there are many places to take them to here.

Just go at an ealier or later time than they do, I'm sure there are other families that take their kids there that are not in groups.

By the way, are you in San Antonio? The picture in your avatar looks like you're at the San Antonio Zoo. Just curious. :) I'm sorry your little girl felt that way! I'm sure it hurt you.

krodden87
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 1:54 PM
This is why i have no friends. Lol
blinki_blink
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 2:02 PM
2 moms liked this

Who wouldn't wanna b her friend? Haha
Joking aside. She's so friendly kills me to c her sad abt it. She doesn't even ask to go anymore. Thanks for ur replies. I'll just try nd b the better person.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)