Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Dental work in young kids?

Posted by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 1:08 PM
  • 29 Replies

Have your children had any dental work done (cavity filled, crown, extraction, etc)?  At what age?

At what age did you allow them to brush their teeth by themselves?

I ask this b/c my friend's daughter at the age of 4yr had to have a TON of dental work done and now another friend's son at 5yr is having a filling and a crown.  I can understand a filling, but 'major' work?  I can't remember the age I had my first filling, but I had all my grown teeth.  I just don't know......is it genetic to have bad teeth or poor teeth care?

Our daughter goes to the dentist Monday.  This will be the 3rd time she's been.  She is terrified of the dentist and hasn't had xrays done.  Each time they have said her teeth look good.  But then again even tho she's 4yr I still help her brush her teeth.

by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 1:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 1:44 PM
1 mom liked this

My son has had 4 cavities filled.  We brush and floss every day but he seems to be prone to them on his molars.  He was about 4 for his first 2and the last 2 were done about 6 months ago.   They've been able to fill them all with no novocaine so far!  He's a trooper :)

I still brush and floss his teeth (he's 6).  He could do it but after spending close to $600 on fillings, I'm just going to handle it for a while longer :)

My DD is 3 1/2 and has only had 1 full cleaning and they still look great.  Her next cleaning is in 2 weeks and they'll do x-rays then so we'll see.

.Angelica.
by Angie on Feb. 6, 2013 at 2:11 PM

none yet.

hwifeandmom
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 2:57 PM
1 mom liked this

Part of it could be genetic.  Two of my kids take after me and have bad teeth, two take after my hubby and have good teeth even tho' they aren't good at taking care of their teeth. 

Part of it could be health (if they are mouth-breathers, they can get cavities more easily; there are other health problems that can increase dental decay). 

And part of it is probably poor dental care.

We have a great pediatric dentist whom my kids love.  My daughter was scared when she first started going (they started her at 1-2yrs, but they'd just count teeth and do a quick brush with a regular toothbrush, just to get her comfortable at the dentist), but she loves the dentist now and can't wait to play the games, get her stickers and wear the pretty sunglasses.  She's had a couple of teeth pulled and even loved that.

GoldenLinds
by Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 3:26 PM
1 mom liked this
My step daughter had ti have fillings in 4 teeth at 4 yo. It wasn't at all because of poor dental hygiene. When the molar forms below the gum it starts in 4 pieces tgat fuse together. Hers never fully fused in the center leaving a cavity that had to be filled.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
rHOPEb
by Silver Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 3:30 PM

I did not know sleeping with the mouth open could cause issues :(  Both of my kids do this.....more so when they have boogers.  She saw a pediatric dentist the first two times, but this 2nd time she will go see our dentist (but will see the one that deals with the kids).  She even has nightmares about the dentist :(

Quoting hwifeandmom:

Part of it could be genetic.  Two of my kids take after me and have bad teeth, two take after my hubby and have good teeth even tho' they aren't good at taking care of their teeth. 

Part of it could be health (if they are mouth-breathers, they can get cavities more easily; there are other health problems that can increase dental decay). 

And part of it is probably poor dental care.

We have a great pediatric dentist whom my kids love.  My daughter was scared when she first started going (they started her at 1-2yrs, but they'd just count teeth and do a quick brush with a regular toothbrush, just to get her comfortable at the dentist), but she loves the dentist now and can't wait to play the games, get her stickers and wear the pretty sunglasses.  She's had a couple of teeth pulled and even loved that.

prettymama72106
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 4:00 PM
1 mom liked this
My kids have ever had cavities. One had to have a tooth pulled because it wouldnt fall out and adult tooth had come in behind it. Now my niece has had cavities in almost all her teeth and has had four crowns i think its disgusting and ridiculous her mom still doesn't force the issue of brushing teeth
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
corrinacs
by Platinum Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 4:06 PM

Caden is now 5.  He started going to the dentist when he was just about 4 years old and he had a TON of cavities.  And the doctor could tell it wasn't from lack of hygeine.  He has deeply pitted molars (I do too) and no matter how much brushing, flossing ,etc you do, you can't get the food from them.  He got many "precavities" in those areas.  Luckily, she was going to do a sealant on those teeth anyway.  And that's he needed, they didn't require true fillings (which was nice for him).

He does brush his teeth on his own.  He has for about a year now.  He refuses our help.  But the dentist always says his teeth look great LOL.  He must be doing something right LOL

Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 4:06 PM
1 mom liked this

I also wanted to add that my dentist told me that the enamel on baby teeth is super thin compared to what covers adult teeth.  Couple that with a naturally acidic mouth (which is probably genetic) and some kids just have more problems early on. 

My son's first 2 cavities were because I didn't know you were supposed to floss baby teeth.  Most of them had gaps so I assumed we were good.  I learned that lesson the hard way.  However, after being super anal about his teeth, he still ended up with 2 more cavities.

snowangel1979
by Bronze Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 4:13 PM
My son had two cavities filled when he was 4. They told me when he was 2-3 that he would probably get cavities on those teeth though. Something happened probably during early pregnancy and he had almost no enamel on those 2 teeth.

I have bad teeth even though I've always took good care of my teeth. I was on antibiotics A LOT when I was a child and put under for surgeries. Those two things thin your enamel. Just about everyone of my teeth have had at least one cavity, Ect.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tyfry7496
by Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 4:16 PM
1 mom liked this
No cavities but he's had 8 teeth pulled to make room in his small jaw. Trying to convince a 16 yr old to get braces now.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)