Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Spin off "would you allow your children to...." post

Posted by   + Show Post

Would you allow your children to play with a child from an atheist family?  One mother in the other post said she would not allow it because "they would be teaching their children different values." Well we are atheists and I can tell you that we most likely have all the same morals that you do, except we do not believe in God. We teach our children not to steal, to be kind to others, to respect their elders, etc. Honestly, I don't tell people that I am an atheist unless they ask ever since the neighbor girls stopped playing with my daughter because she said that we don't believe in God. I fear others will do the same. I have no desire to "convert" you, and I am 100% fine with your beliefs and will not discuss my lack of beliefs with your child. As a matter of fact, we teach our children about all different religions and being respectful to everyone else's beliefs; once our child is an adult we want her to come to her own decision about religion.

by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 10:37 PM
Replies (11-20):
Necie72
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 12:34 AM
2 moms liked this

Yes.  I was raised Catholic, but was allowed to go to church with friends and other family members who aren't Catholic.  I think it's good to let children explore faith.  I even went to Jehovah's Witness services, meetings, field service and conventions.  I think some "fools" believe that if you're atheist, you must worship the devil or something.  Long story short, if you're "good people" that's all I'd care about.

TigressLily
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 12:39 AM

I would for the simple fact that my child could teach an atheist child about God.

.Angelica.
by Angie on Feb. 7, 2013 at 12:41 AM
1 mom liked this

I have friends who don't believe, so obviously I would be fine with my kids playing with them. As long as you are a good person, not doing drugs or into illegal activities, I don't care.

model1000mom
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 12:42 AM
1 mom liked this

I would 

pse07
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 12:43 AM
1 mom liked this
I am the same way with my girls. I'm teaching them to be respectful of everyone's beliefs. Especially when they differ from ours drastically.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommyCora
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 12:54 AM
3 moms liked this

Just because we do not believe in God does NOT mean we need to be "taught" about God. I personally have read the Bible through twice, cover to cover, attended church for several years (four times a week), was in Bible club in High School and attended church camp twice. While I wouldn't care if your child spoke to my child about their beliefs, I find it highly offensive that you think my child needs to be taught about God. How would you feel if a Muslim said they'd be happy for your children to play together for the sole reason of teaching your child all about being a Muslim?

Quoting TigressLily:

I would for the simple fact that my child could teach an atheist child about God.

MommyCora
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 12:58 AM
2 moms liked this

On another note, I do not "teach" my child to be an atheist, I tell her that we (my husband and I) do not believe in God but we do not tell her that she shouldn't. I'd hardly call a 5 year old "an atheist child", she is too little to even understand why I choose to be an atheist or to make up her own mind about any religion!

Paperfishies
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 1:01 AM
1 mom liked this
Yes. We're an atheist family
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
shadow_lark
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 1:01 AM
As long as you aren't whispering poison in my kids ears i wouldn't care.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Paperfishies
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 1:02 AM
3 moms liked this
I don't allow my children to be around proselytizing fruitcakes.

Quoting TigressLily:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN