Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Spin off "would you allow your children to...." post

Posted by   + Show Post

Would you allow your children to play with a child from an atheist family?  One mother in the other post said she would not allow it because "they would be teaching their children different values." Well we are atheists and I can tell you that we most likely have all the same morals that you do, except we do not believe in God. We teach our children not to steal, to be kind to others, to respect their elders, etc. Honestly, I don't tell people that I am an atheist unless they ask ever since the neighbor girls stopped playing with my daughter because she said that we don't believe in God. I fear others will do the same. I have no desire to "convert" you, and I am 100% fine with your beliefs and will not discuss my lack of beliefs with your child. As a matter of fact, we teach our children about all different religions and being respectful to everyone else's beliefs; once our child is an adult we want her to come to her own decision about religion.

by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 10:37 PM
Replies (21-30):
Fields456
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 1:03 AM
Yup 2 of my best friends and their dhs are atheist. I love them both and so my kids. I could never imagine not talking to them or not letting my kids talk to them because of their religious choices or lake their of that's just crazy
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
leogirl79
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 1:42 AM
1 mom liked this

Yes I would absolutely let my kids play with your kids...you sound like a great mom! I'm not saying I believe in God or not but I do question beliefs about ALL religions...Noone has real concrete PROOF of anything anyway they just choose to think & believe what they want...which is why they are called "Beliefs" & not called "Truths"......everyone has a choice of religion & like you said as long as you don't push or preach your views on to my children & you have good morals then I have No problem with what you believe in or not...& good for you for teaching your kids about different things & allowing them to make their own decisions when they are old enough to do so. :-)   My 11yr old chooses to go to a church with his great-grandmother but I however choose Not to attend that church....do I have anything against my child for doing so? uh duh No of course not otherwise I wouldn't let him go. :-)

Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 1:51 AM
2 moms liked this

This is exactly what cracks me up...the thought that we need to be taught or fixed somehow.  I tried Christianity when I was younger and it didn't take.  What I realized was that I live a very "Christian-like" life but not for fear of eternal damnation, I do it cuz it's the right thing to do.  My kids are following that path too and whether they choose to believe someday or not, they'll be wonderful people regardless.

Quoting MommyCora:

Just because we do not believe in God does NOT mean we need to be "taught" about God. I personally have read the Bible through twice, cover to cover, attended church for several years (four times a week), was in Bible club in High School and attended church camp twice. While I wouldn't care if your child spoke to my child about their beliefs, I find it highly offensive that you think my child needs to be taught about God. How would you feel if a Muslim said they'd be happy for your children to play together for the sole reason of teaching your child all about being a Muslim?

Quoting TigressLily:

I would for the simple fact that my child could teach an atheist child about God.

TigressLily
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 4:26 AM

I'd be just fine with your last statement about a Muslim kid. The fact that you took this offensively and felt the need to give a bunch of defensive reasons as to why my post was offensive is very strange. Atheist children growing up in an Atheist home could never learn about other religions, never learn about God {as I mentioned}.... and same goes for any kid of any religion.... so yeah, there's my point. And reading the entire Bible doesn't mean you understand it, doesn't mean you took some things out of context because not EVERYTHING is literal, etc. I admit I have not read the entire Bible yet. That doesn't mean I'm not knowledgable about God, and you reading the entire Bible twice doesn't mean that you are.

Quoting MommyCora:

Just because we do not believe in God does NOT mean we need to be "taught" about God. I personally have read the Bible through twice, cover to cover, attended church for several years (four times a week), was in Bible club in High School and attended church camp twice. While I wouldn't care if your child spoke to my child about their beliefs, I find it highly offensive that you think my child needs to be taught about God. How would you feel if a Muslim said they'd be happy for your children to play together for the sole reason of teaching your child all about being a Muslim?

Quoting TigressLily:

I would for the simple fact that my child could teach an atheist child about God.

TigressLily
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 4:26 AM

Wait a minute while I go look up "proselytizing."

Quoting Paperfishies:

I don't allow my children to be around proselytizing fruitcakes.

Quoting TigressLily:

TigressLily
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 4:33 AM
1 mom liked this

Okay.... first off I'm not a fruitcake.... secondly... How exactly would this statement make me some Bible thumper or trying to push my religion down other's throats? You don't know me. You, just as the other person that replied to my post, instantly took offense to my statement without even thinking about what it might mean. Let me explain. Firstly, I am a very loving person and I love to teach others about God, and about crocheting since that is a passion of mine. I also love to talk about dogs. I would some day love to be a dog trainer. I respect my mother very much for being a single mom raising 2 kids on her own, only with God's help, and I strive to be just as good of a mother as she was. I would be dead right now if it weren't for God, on many occasions. This is my life... Now... while I do feel sympathetic for other people that do not have God in their lives, I do not judge them for their beliefs or lack thereof. I do pray for them, rather they want me to or not. I don't go around naming every single person, and I don't shout "You're going to hell!" Because well, I'm not the judge and I don't know that. I have no idea what is in other's hearts. Only God knows that. I have my own sins that I must worry about. Just because I pray for other people, doesn't mean I do it aloud, either. I know how controversial the topic is, I know how defensive people can get when they hear they'd have to change their entire way of living and thinking.... why go through all that trouble when I can't make them go to God? It must be of their own choice, I can't make it for them. Now, before you go and jump down someone's throat for their statements, maybe you could take a moment to reflect on what their life is like, what they might mean by their statement, instead of just assuming they are judgemental hypocrites that think they're better than everyone.

Quoting Paperfishies:

Quoting TigressLily:

TigressLily
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 4:35 AM

Please see the post right below your reply to MommyCora.

Quoting Luvmy2babies22:

This is exactly what cracks me up...the thought that we need to be taught or fixed somehow.  I tried Christianity when I was younger and it didn't take.  What I realized was that I live a very "Christian-like" life but not for fear of eternal damnation, I do it cuz it's the right thing to do.  My kids are following that path too and whether they choose to believe someday or not, they'll be wonderful people regardless.

Quoting MommyCora:

Quoting TigressLily:

STVUstudent
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 7:08 AM
1 mom liked this

YOu know, I owuld have no problem with my kids playing with any kid who played nice... if I do not agree with the parents' value system or lifestyle, so what?  So long as they are not walking around naked in front of my kids, or telling them they are going to hell for any reason, kids can play with kids...  MY job, as their parent, is to teach MY kids about OUR values and beliefs.  NOT YOUR kids... and so long as you are not trying to push YOUR beliefs on MY kids, we are ALL fine...

Paperfishies
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 7:15 AM
2 moms liked this
If you tell someone about god without them asking you, you're a proselytizing nutjob. My atheist children don't go around telling people not to believe in god and why:

Quoting TigressLily:

Okay.... first off I'm not a fruitcake.... secondly... How exactly would this statement make me some Bible thumper or trying to push my religion down other's throats? You don't know me. You, just as the other person that replied to my post, instantly took offense to my statement without even thinking about what it might mean. Let me explain. Firstly, I am a very loving person and I love to teach others about God, and about crocheting since that is a passion of mine. I also love to talk about dogs. I would some day love to be a dog trainer. I respect my mother very much for being a single mom raising 2 kids on her own, only with God's help, and I strive to be just as good of a mother as she was. I would be dead right now if it weren't for God, on many occasions. This is my life... Now... while I do feel sympathetic for other people that do not have God in their lives, I do not judge them for their beliefs or lack thereof. I do pray for them, rather they want me to or not. I don't go around naming every single person, and I don't shout "You're going to hell!" Because well, I'm not the judge and I don't know that. I have no idea what is in other's hearts. Only God knows that. I have my own sins that I must worry about. Just because I pray for other people, doesn't mean I do it aloud, either. I know how controversial the topic is, I know how defensive people can get when they hear they'd have to change their entire way of living and thinking.... why go through all that trouble when I can't make them go to God? It must be of their own choice, I can't make it for them. Now, before you go and jump down someone's throat for their statements, maybe you could take a moment to reflect on what their life is like, what they might mean by their statement, instead of just assuming they are judgemental hypocrites that think they're better than everyone.

Quoting Paperfishies:

Quoting TigressLily:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AleaKat
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 7:16 AM
1 mom liked this
I let my child play with Christian families. I'm not thrilled about THEM but its whats about the best interests of the child.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN