Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Spin off "would you allow your children to...." post

Posted by   + Show Post

Would you allow your children to play with a child from an atheist family?  One mother in the other post said she would not allow it because "they would be teaching their children different values." Well we are atheists and I can tell you that we most likely have all the same morals that you do, except we do not believe in God. We teach our children not to steal, to be kind to others, to respect their elders, etc. Honestly, I don't tell people that I am an atheist unless they ask ever since the neighbor girls stopped playing with my daughter because she said that we don't believe in God. I fear others will do the same. I have no desire to "convert" you, and I am 100% fine with your beliefs and will not discuss my lack of beliefs with your child. As a matter of fact, we teach our children about all different religions and being respectful to everyone else's beliefs; once our child is an adult we want her to come to her own decision about religion.

by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 10:37 PM
Replies (31-40):
RobinBright
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 7:17 AM
1 mom liked this

Of course.  Exposure to other beliefs is the best way to develop your own--  we can't accept or reject one truth without knowing what other interpretations exist.  I'm Catholic and SO is Jewish, so naturally we've talked to the boys about belief systems and finding our own truth since they were small.  

TigressLily
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 7:17 AM

K. Have a nice day.

Quoting Paperfishies:

If you tell someone about god without them asking you, you're a proselytizing nutjob. My atheist children don't go around telling people not to believe in god and why:

Quoting TigressLily:

Okay.... first off I'm not a fruitcake.... secondly... How exactly would this statement make me some Bible thumper or trying to push my religion down other's throats? You don't know me. You, just as the other person that replied to my post, instantly took offense to my statement without even thinking about what it might mean. Let me explain. Firstly, I am a very loving person and I love to teach others about God, and about crocheting since that is a passion of mine. I also love to talk about dogs. I would some day love to be a dog trainer. I respect my mother very much for being a single mom raising 2 kids on her own, only with God's help, and I strive to be just as good of a mother as she was. I would be dead right now if it weren't for God, on many occasions. This is my life... Now... while I do feel sympathetic for other people that do not have God in their lives, I do not judge them for their beliefs or lack thereof. I do pray for them, rather they want me to or not. I don't go around naming every single person, and I don't shout "You're going to hell!" Because well, I'm not the judge and I don't know that. I have no idea what is in other's hearts. Only God knows that. I have my own sins that I must worry about. Just because I pray for other people, doesn't mean I do it aloud, either. I know how controversial the topic is, I know how defensive people can get when they hear they'd have to change their entire way of living and thinking.... why go through all that trouble when I can't make them go to God? It must be of their own choice, I can't make it for them. Now, before you go and jump down someone's throat for their statements, maybe you could take a moment to reflect on what their life is like, what they might mean by their statement, instead of just assuming they are judgemental hypocrites that think they're better than everyone.

Quoting Paperfishies:

I don't allow my children to be around proselytizing fruitcakes.

Quoting TigressLily:

I would for the simple fact that my child could teach an atheist child about God.

mereinhart28
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 7:20 AM
1 mom liked this

yes I would.

cryssi_renee
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 7:44 AM
1 mom liked this

Yes. 

Caitlin1983
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 7:47 AM
1 mom liked this
I would never keep my child from playing with another child based on race/religion/political views/financial status etc. That is so silly.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
PrincessButton
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 8:02 AM
1 mom liked this

My 5yo son talks about God frequently, The Lord is apart of our every day lives and even Kaiden brings Him into every day conversations. But I also I have taught him to be respectful of other people's beliefs. I once was watching him play at preschool and another child was screaming at him, Kaiden simply asked the child "Preston, what woiuld Jesus do?" This of course confused the other boy and so Kaiden responded again with, "Jesus would share," gave Preston the toy in question and moved on. With this said I wouldn't mind him playing with a child from an athiest home, we teach acceptance and would simply expect the same in return.

Quoting Jynnifer292:

I don't understand why it would be an issue. How often do small children even discuss religion? Why is it so difficult to teach diversity for some people? I let my kids play with anyone that is good to them. They are aware that not everyone has the same beliefs. If you teach your children that they can't associate with someone that is different, make them think that they are better than someone else, you are setting them up for a very hard life.

Jynnifer292
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 8:11 AM

Typically, children do not bring up God during every day play. Unless of course they are enrolled in religion based school. I taught preschool for several years and never heard a true coversation about God between any of the children, aside from, "Oh my God, I love your teddy bear." smile It is good that you are teaching him that we all do not think the same.

Quoting PrincessButton:

My 5yo son talks about God frequently, The Lord is apart of our every day lives and even Kaiden brings Him into every day conversations. But I also I have taught him to be respectful of other people's beliefs. I once was watching him play at preschool and another child was screaming at him, Kaiden simply asked the child "Preston, what woiuld Jesus do?" This of course confused the other boy and so Kaiden responded again with, "Jesus would share," gave Preston the toy in question and moved on. With this said I wouldn't mind him playing with a child from an athiest home, we teach acceptance and would simply expect the same in return.

Quoting Jynnifer292:

I don't understand why it would be an issue. How often do small children even discuss religion? Why is it so difficult to teach diversity for some people? I let my kids play with anyone that is good to them. They are aware that not everyone has the same beliefs. If you teach your children that they can't associate with someone that is different, make them think that they are better than someone else, you are setting them up for a very hard life.

Alejandra10
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 8:13 AM
I wouldn't go of asking the mom of any kid on their religious believes so it would make a difference I wouldn't even know
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
sarahfaith123
by Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 8:13 AM
1 mom liked this

i was actually surprised to learn my best friend's DH is an atheist and that he preferred they didn't intoduce the chldren to organized religion or concepts of heaven and hell. although my religious and spritual beliefs differ, they're the sweetest most stable family i've ever had the pleasure of knowing. my son plays with and loves her  and is best friends with their youngest. i would never let their belief system take away the gift of their friendship. the more people you turn away and shun from your children's lives, the less you're allowing them to learn from living their own lives, even at a young age. you're teaching them that differences are bad rather than a natural part of life, in my opinion.

LyTe684
by Bronze Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 8:14 AM
1 mom liked this

I would. I don't ask people what their religion is.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN