Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Spin off "would you allow your children to...." post

Posted by   + Show Post

Would you allow your children to play with a child from an atheist family?  One mother in the other post said she would not allow it because "they would be teaching their children different values." Well we are atheists and I can tell you that we most likely have all the same morals that you do, except we do not believe in God. We teach our children not to steal, to be kind to others, to respect their elders, etc. Honestly, I don't tell people that I am an atheist unless they ask ever since the neighbor girls stopped playing with my daughter because she said that we don't believe in God. I fear others will do the same. I have no desire to "convert" you, and I am 100% fine with your beliefs and will not discuss my lack of beliefs with your child. As a matter of fact, we teach our children about all different religions and being respectful to everyone else's beliefs; once our child is an adult we want her to come to her own decision about religion.

by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 10:37 PM
Replies (41-50):
Kalic0
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 9:12 AM
1 mom liked this

Wow, do people just keep getting nuttier? I am not an atheist but my husband is and neither of us practices an organized religion. I was brought up Catholic but am closer to being Buddist now. I guess this woman would not let her child play with my children either, because I might make them Buddist or heathen. This and the sexual orientation thing, I just don't understand. These things are not diseases!

kevinzwifey
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 9:20 AM
1 mom liked this

I would allow my kids to play with a child from an atheist family, Most normal good people dont try to teach other peoples kids what to believe...As long as you are a good person then you and your kids are good with me...  :)

KZuz
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 9:36 AM
2 moms liked this
People concern themselves with far too much stuff. As long as the kids are in as safe and nuturing environment, who cares what religion someone is?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
do11face
by Bronze Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 9:43 AM
1 mom liked this

Seeing as how I am atheist, yes.

I don't consider my children atheist, though. They will have their own path to what their beliefs or non-beliefs will be. As of now they are too young. But we do discuss other faiths and what they mean.

However, it is my job to discuss these things with them. I would not be happy if another parent started discussing their religion with my young child. It's not their place.

blueeyes2000
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 9:46 AM
1 mom liked this
Yes I would. As long as the parents are responsible and it's a safe environment.
jenaree
by Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 9:47 AM
1 mom liked this

I am an atheist, my husband is not, and I would hope anyone who met me would know how much I love my daughter and how well I would take care of any child I was in charge of. I would however be pretty pissed if another family took my child to church without talking to me about it first. I don't think religious views need to be discussed with other people's children, whether you believe or not.

bebe_ju-rah
by Bronze Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 9:58 AM
1 mom liked this
I would let my kid play with any other child regardless of their religion, sexual orientation or race. I personally think that religion shouldn't be forced onto a kid so I'm 100% for having my dd be exposed to other's beliefs. I used to love going to church with my friends growing up and I'm an athiest as well. I enjoy learning about other beliefs and I hope dd will too. Hell, if she came home one say and said "mom, I want to go to a synagogue and become Jewish" We'd pack up and head right on over! I would be thrilled that she took the initiative to learn about a religion and decided within herself that it was right for her. :)

What...do people think that if the parents of a kid is a different religion they are going to sit their kid down and drill them about it?? Geesh..If religion is that important to you then I'm sure you've instilled that belief into your child and going to a friend's house who happens to be an Athiest or a Jew or a Muslim ISN'T going to just erase that!

Ok, I'm done ranting! :)
supermom200
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 10:04 AM
1 mom liked this

My Christian daughter has an Atheist boyfriend and his Atheist mother is my absolute best friend, and I am Christian. She has taught them morals and wonderful attributes. He is an awesome kid and these 2 adore each other. That is what matters most to me. Good people are good people. Religion nor faith make them that way.

armytriplets
by New Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 10:18 AM
1 mom liked this
So, everyone should respect other people's choices and religions, unless they are Christians, and then it is okay to call names?

Quoting Paperfishies:

I don't allow my children to be around proselytizing fruitcakes.

Quoting TigressLily:

I would for the simple fact that my child could teach an atheist child about God.

corrinacs
by Platinum Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 11:16 AM
1 mom liked this

See, this is exactly me right there.  And I've never had aproblem.  My neighbors across the street from me are Catholic.  They don't push it on me, and I haven't told them that we aren't.....and it hasn't bothered them at all!  We still chit chat.

We are reasonable and good people (I think aynway LOL).  I woudln't be forcing anyone else's child to be athiest.  Its just not something that bothers me.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)