Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Spin off "would you allow your children to...." post

Posted by   + Show Post

Would you allow your children to play with a child from an atheist family?  One mother in the other post said she would not allow it because "they would be teaching their children different values." Well we are atheists and I can tell you that we most likely have all the same morals that you do, except we do not believe in God. We teach our children not to steal, to be kind to others, to respect their elders, etc. Honestly, I don't tell people that I am an atheist unless they ask ever since the neighbor girls stopped playing with my daughter because she said that we don't believe in God. I fear others will do the same. I have no desire to "convert" you, and I am 100% fine with your beliefs and will not discuss my lack of beliefs with your child. As a matter of fact, we teach our children about all different religions and being respectful to everyone else's beliefs; once our child is an adult we want her to come to her own decision about religion.

by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 10:37 PM
Replies (91-93):
prp2014
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 10:50 AM
1 mom liked this

My kids are allowed to play with or be friends with who ever they want. I trust that once they are old enough to decide for themselves what they want to beleive or who they want to be around they will make good decisions. I trust their judgement.

AutymsMommy
by Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 11:28 AM
1 mom liked this

My best friend is an atheist; she has 3 children. Not only do my children play with her children, she is also one of the few I trust to watch my children, lol. So no, I would have no problem with my children playing with yours. Matter of fact, feel free to discuss your faith or lack of faith with them as well (so long as there is no attempt to mock ours).

We are devout Catholics, if it matters.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff: we have traditional gender roles, we're Catholic, I'm Libertarian, he's Republican, we're both conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

othermom
by Silver Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 11:39 AM
1 mom liked this

Yeah, I don't go around asking people their religious beliefs

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN