Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

child's i.q tested

Posted by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 11:46 PM
  • 9 Replies
At what age can you have a child's i.q level tested? I'm curious to know my 4 year old's.

by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 11:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
momtoBrenna
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 11:50 PM

It depends upon the child how well they will test at 4. We had our ds's tested at just over 4 but he ended up being sick and did not do as well as he should have. I would wait until 5 since it will be more accurate. Our ds will have his redone in November when he is just over 5. 

ejsmom4604
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 11:51 PM

Usually school age. To just "know" you can see if there are free ones online, but make sure they are age and stage appropriate. Though I.Q. only holds a portion of intelligence. 

larschick
by New Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 11:54 PM
Around 1st grade if the teacher pushes for it.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
superwoman39
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 12:17 AM
Thank you ladies.
Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 12:20 AM

just out of curiosity, why did you have it tested?

Quoting momtoBrenna:

It depends upon the child how well they will test at 4. We had our ds's tested at just over 4 but he ended up being sick and did not do as well as he should have. I would wait until 5 since it will be more accurate. Our ds will have his redone in November when he is just over 5. 

momtoBrenna
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 12:24 AM

We had him tested because we want him to go to dd's gifted charter so it's required. We didn't know that he had pneumonia though and even with some retesting that he did way better on, he missed the iq cutoff by 9 points. They could only replace 2 of his lower scores from the day that he was sick. He's also not writing much yet so that effected his processing speed score. He has July 6th birthday so they recommended that we work with him and have him retested for K in 2014-2015. 

Quoting Luvmy2babies22:

Quoting momtoBrenna:

Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 12:36 AM
1 mom liked this

Gotcha.  Thanks.

Quoting momtoBrenna:

We had him tested because we want him to go to dd's gifted charter so it's required. We didn't know that he had pneumonia though and even with some retesting that he did way better on, he missed the iq cutoff by 9 points. They could only replace 2 of his lower scores from the day that he was sick. He's also not writing much yet so that effected his processing speed score. He has July 6th birthday so they recommended that we work with him and have him retested for K in 2014-2015. 

Quoting Luvmy2babies22:

Quoting momtoBrenna:

.Angelica.
by Angie on Feb. 7, 2013 at 12:47 AM

i have never had mine tested :/ or my kids

jasonadamvowell
by Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 11:34 PM
3 is the youngest.. I just read a whole article on gifted children and that you can have them tested at 3 to know what kind of headstart to put him/her in
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN