Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

HELP....my 3 yr old

Posted by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 8:59 AM
  • 13 Replies

Hey ladies... I am new to the group and I need to ask a question...

I have a son who is 3 and will be 4 in March. About 6 months ago, me and his dad split up due to some problems we went thru (not really going to get into details about it).... Well ever since we split up, he has been stuttering quite a bit. Is this normal for kids his age to stutter or could it have something to do with me and his dad splitting? Maybe too much stress.... I looked it up online and seen that it was normal for kids his age to stutter but it still makes me think long and hard about exactly why he started doing it. Like I said, he never done it when we were together... This has me worried.... I though maybe he was just going thru a phase and he would grow out of it but that has yet to happen

Has/Did any of your kids stutter when they were 3 or 4??? Any advice is welcome....

by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 8:59 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mamamedic69
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 9:09 AM
1 mom liked this
My dd did go through a phase at about 3 years old with stuttering. I just had my dd slow down and talk and eventually it stopped. Sometimes when she's super excited she still does it.

As far as it being a reaction from the split of his parents, I think it's just timing issue.

BTW: welcome to the group!!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
hudson.maggie
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 9:10 AM
1 mom liked this
My dd does this now. I just have her calm down and tell me..
MomWhoLiveGreen
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 9:11 AM
1 mom liked this

Most 3 yr old will stutter to some degeree.. mine does sometimes its just that their brain its going faster than their mouth (hehe) and that they are trying to talk faster than they can spit out the words.. if it gets really bad talk to the pedi at the next check up and see what they say.. Good luck momma

BabyFetus Ticker
 BabyFruit Ticker
PEEK05
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 1:29 PM
1 mom liked this

Hi, welcome to the group. :)

Stuttering is a normal phase during toddlerhood/preschool ages even though not all kids go through it.  Their brain just thinks a lot faster than they can speak, causing some kids to stutter while they think about where they are at in their sentence/story lol.

MrsWhite101610
by Bronze Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 1:30 PM
1 mom liked this
My dd did that at 2.5 after a couple months it went away. I was concerned though too.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommy2zbg
by Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 1:34 PM

Was there anything else you done to help her? I have heard that reading to them works.... any advice on how to help?

Quoting mamamedic69:

My dd did go through a phase at about 3 years old with stuttering. I just had my dd slow down and talk and eventually it stopped. Sometimes when she's super excited she still does it.

As far as it being a reaction from the split of his parents, I think it's just timing issue.

mommy2zbg
by Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 1:35 PM

Is there anything in particular that you know of that could help with it? 

Quoting PEEK05:

Hi, welcome to the group. :)

Stuttering is a normal phase during toddlerhood/preschool ages even though not all kids go through it.  Their brain just thinks a lot faster than they can speak, causing some kids to stutter while they think about where they are at in their sentence/story lol.

MrsWhite101610
by Bronze Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 1:35 PM
That's what we did with dd too. It helped a lot

Quoting mommy2zbg:

Was there anything else you done to help her? I have heard that reading to them works.... any advice on how to help?

Quoting mamamedic69:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cowgirls10181
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 1:37 PM
His mind might be moving faster than he can talk, try having him slow down and speak slower.
rebeccab1966
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 1:40 PM

My daughter did at that age, too.  Didn't last long, we always told her toi just slow down (maybe their little brains are growing so fast they can't keep up!).  I do think some people stutter when they get stressed (my Mom's best friend does this).

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN