Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Advice Needed: I am having a problem with my 4 yr old...

Posted by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 8:44 AM
  • 9 Replies

I am having a problem with my 4 yr old. He has been potty trained since he was 2 & he hasn't had any problems, but lately he has been pooping in his pants. I don't know what to do, I've tried talking to him, taking things away until it stops. Then it will for a day or two, then starts again. How do I get this to stop??

by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 8:44 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
doulala
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 9:09 AM

Anything going on for him (like changes)?
I would not expect
he is doing it op purpose, so punishing him is not likely helpful.
If you pay it NO attention for a while, just clean up like you did when he was an infant then he may get over this phase without it getting worse.

Jensep
by Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 9:12 AM

My son was potty trained by 2 1/2, and around 3 1/2 he went through like a month stage where he would have 4/6 accidents a day! Nothing was going on, no changes, but it happens! I worked in a preschool for many many years and seen this go on with a lot of kids! 

I wouldn't punish him, but maybe reward/praise him when he does go ;) good luck!!!

PEEK05
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 12:52 PM

I don't know.  Have you asked him why he is doing it?

rebeccasmommy09
by Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 12:56 PM
Have you checked for medical issues? My dd has accidents when she's been constipated. She also has something called encopresis. We figured this all out when she started having the same issue you're describing.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
daughteroftruth
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 12:57 PM

how long ago did he start pooping his pants?  What do you think the cause of it is?

theosgirl45
by Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 2:11 PM

My almost 5 year old DD has been having the same problem.  She pooped in her pants like three times the other day and it wasn't diarhea.  I think she is doing it because we just recently had a new baby and is acting out because of it.  We are working on making sure she knows we still love her and she is still important to us and making sure she gets as much attention as possible.(Good attention).  It seems to be working so far but I am sure we will have set backs.  Maybe there is something going on the he is unhappy about and he is acting out the only way he knows how?

January1964
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 2:20 PM

He's old enough for you to ask him. See what he says. You need to find out if it's a medical issue.

sassymommie09
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 7:51 PM

well i let it go for awhile, but then it just kept happening. He will say he has to go, so i tell him...okey go to the potty...and he will go, then he will stand by the door or he will go by himself and clean it up fast and drop the poop in the potty & ask for new undies. So i don't whats going on. But in the past couple months other things have changed too.... he use to go headstart without any problems, now he hides. He started acting different when i got a job, so i quit, but he's still acting different.

sassymommie09
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 7:52 PM

But if I ask him why...he just says "i don't know"

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)