Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Advice Needed: My 4 yr old has an attitude problem He has...

Posted by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 8:48 AM
  • 7 Replies

My 4 yr old has an attitude problem. He has acting out the past couple of months. First he would cry over anything, now he gets so mad & throws fits. Any tips to change this behavior? Everything I've tried isn't working.

by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 8:48 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
ejsmom4604
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 10:40 AM
1 mom liked this

Just be consistant with your discipline. Yes it is hard, and yes it will ease up there is hope lol. You can try taking away his toys, and he can slowly earn them back using a sticker chart. Keep in mind his age and stuff, but if you can limit the number of tantrums a day and slowly bring that number down over time, it might work. It really depends on how your child reacts to charts (sticker ones). Have him be part of it, decorate it, and pick out the stickers to use for it. You can even break it down to morning, afternoon, and night so it's not so overwhelming. 

Unfortunately my oldes was never one that did well with charts, but he wasn't "normal" and had other things going on. 

Oh almost forgot, use words to put names to he is feeling, or ask him "Are you feeling mad because ____?" or "Are you frustrated because you are having trouble with ____?". He may just not be sure how to vocalize what he is feeling at the moment. Good luck!

PEEK05
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 12:51 PM

I would send him to his room when he wants to behave that way and tell him he can come out when he is ready to act like a big boy and/or to talk about what is bothering him.

KawaiiLila
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 3:54 PM
Have you tried the sticker chart method?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
emarin77
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 4:42 PM

My 4 year old has it too.  I just continue disapline but also have a postive reinforcement for him.  He chose going to McDonalds.  He enjoys playing at the play park there.  Eventually they will get it in their head that they have to follow the rules or no positive reinforcement.  Basically it is doing what the parents want them to do to get what they want.

sassymommie09
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 7:43 PM

I haven't tried the sticker chart yet....i need to try that

mama.samm.2.3
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 8:04 PM
I would try the sticker chart. And be sure you are staying consistant with the disipline. When my twins were going through that I also had positive renforcements for them being good. It will ease up in time. Just be consistant and be paitent.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
.Angelica.
by Angie on Feb. 9, 2013 at 8:38 PM
My 5 year old is the same. I've tried many things and he can tell you how he is supposed to act but wont do it.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN