Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

3.5 yr old perfectionist

Posted by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 11:07 AM
  • 7 Replies
How in the world do you deal with it. Dd wanted to learn to draw daddy mommy and herself. I showed her how. She gets so mad if her circle or lines are not perfect and wants me to do it for her ending in meltdowns. I finally got her distracted but i am concerned about school if she keeps this perfectionism. She has always had encouragement and praise. She's always been advanced with motor skills. But she gets so mad with drawing and writing. I recently realized she was left handed and dh helped her learn to hold the pen for better control. I thought that was the problem but no its because she's a perfectionist. She gets it from me but I don't know how to help her understand its ok to make mistakes.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 11:07 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
mamamedic69
by Deanna on Feb. 9, 2013 at 11:11 AM
I wish I had some advice but I'm following this post as my 3.5 dd has some issues with being a perfectionist.

Hugs mama.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Ilaynasmommy
by Bronze Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 11:22 AM
Hugs to you to. I want her to be confident and its painful seeing that stand in the way.

Quoting mamamedic69:

I wish I had some advice but I'm following this post as my 3.5 dd has some issues with being a perfectionist.

Hugs mama.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bieg9093
by Bronze Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 11:33 AM

A good starting place is for you to remain calm yourself.  The more upset she gets, the more bland/bored/detached you should become. 

Provide some stencils and show her how to trace.  Also, give her some tracing paper so she can copy a desired image.  Those might be tools to give her the level of precision she's looking for.  But if she's still flipping out, I'd walk away.

hollydaze1974
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 11:34 AM
My older son was like that . " you do it, I scribble scrabble" it was a really difficult. When he got to school, he saw that lots of kids were not " perfect" in art. He mellowed out a little after seeing his drawing was on track with his friends.
PEEK05
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 12:51 PM

My daughter is the same way.  She will be 4 in one week.  I always just remind her that it's okay if we make a mistake or mess something up and that we can just try again.  I was like her too.

mymanben
by Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 12:55 PM
My DS is that way too. Also 3.5. He's in preschool now and they help him
Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 1:00 PM
My 6 year old has those issues but mostly with drawing. He melted down the other day cuz he was trying to draw his police truck and didn't draw the windows "right". It broke my heart but all we could do was explain that it was his first time trying, it looked AMAZING and he just needs to practice. He doesn't have issues with this at school thankfully.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)