Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Any other little chefs?

Posted by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 12:15 PM
  • 1 Replies

I'm just wondering how many 2-3 yr olds are as obsessed with cooking as my almost 3 yr old son. It started around 18 mo where he wanted to be in the kitchen all the time. We bought him a cheap play kitchen thinking he'd grow out of the phase in a couple months. He loves his play kitchen at home and I guess he usually plays in the play kitchen at daycare during their free play times. 

Now though, he's more obsessed than ever. At first he wanted to just watch or stir something. Now, he wants to cut up the food with me. I got I'm a small kids knife and I'll slice stuff and let him chop it smaller. When making pancakes (his favorite thing to cook) he used to let me flip them, then he wanted his hand on the spatula, now he has to do it by himself. He wants to help put stuff in the oven so I bought him his own oven mitt so he can at least be safe. Clearly he doesn't do it by himself, but I'll let him push the pan in with me. Now he insists on measuring everything too. Some things he can do with minimal supervision like cream of wheat, eggs, sausage, rice except knowing what measuring cup to use. If he continues, he'll be able to outlook me in a few years because I don't really love cooking, its just something that has to be done. It's fun but hard cooking with him trying to make sure he doesn't make too big of a mess, reminding hm what not to touch so he doesn't burn himself and making sure he fills the measuring cups all the way to the top. 

Its quite cute because now he tells me i cant cook by myself. He says my hands are too big to cook anything in the small pots and pans. Anyone else have little chefs in the making?

by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 12:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-1):
LucyHarper
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 12:19 PM

I think that its important for kids to have cooking skills, so they can grow up knowing how to cook healthy meals when they are on their own, so all of my kids help me cook. I supervise with knives and don't let them touch the stove (up until a certain age), otherwise they can help where they want.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN