Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Nighttime Drama

Posted by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 12:30 AM
  • 5 Replies

Recently my son has been slipping during the night when it comes to staying dry. So in addition to the rubber matress pad I put nightime pull up pants on him. The first night I did that he came into my bed crying and saying that the pull up was uncomfortable on him. So what should I do let him wet himself in bed or make him spend the night in the bothersome pull up?

by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 12:30 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 12:32 AM
Let him wet. He will grow out of it when he is mature enough. In the meantime there is no reason to make him uncomfortable. It will only interfere with everyone's sleep
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by Bronze Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 12:33 AM

Ask him what he wants to do. Explain that if he chooses to sleep in his underwear that you will have to wake him up to take him potty and he will have to stop having drinks at a certain time. After a few accidents give him the choice again. 

That is what I did and we still have a pee-pee pad and plastic sheet for just in case. 

by Platinum Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 12:45 AM
1 mom liked this

My DD is sort of going thru this.  She day trained in May and about 2 months ago asked me to start sleeping in underwear.  She was fine for a week and then started having accidents every 4-6 nights.  I was going over the same thing in my head.  I know you can't night train a child so I was thinking maybe she just wasn't ready and I should go back to pullups for a while.  Then part of me was like "well, she asked for the underwear and was doing great so maybe I should just stick this out."  I ended up just sticking it out and she hasn't had an accident in a couple weeks.  It was a hard decision cuz my son moved to underwear after staying dry for 2 weeks straight and never had more than just a 1/2 accident.  She, however, was peeing fully in her sleep and not even waking up from it.  In the morning she was wet but bordering on drying out meaning she had done it quite a while earlier.  It was frustrating but I'm hoping we are on the track to dryness from now on.

If he's been out of pullups for more than a few weeks, I would just stick it out with the underwear.  One thing we did for my son was layer the bed to minimize disruptions from night accidents:  mattress protection, fitted sheet, 2 waterproof crib pads across the width of his bed where his butt was, another fitted sheet and then all the rest of his sheet/blankets.  that way if there is an accident you can take off the top fitted sheet and pads and you still have the other fitted sheet with the mattress protected.  one layer off and back to sleep (assuming his accident stays only on the top layer :))

by Bronze Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 2:01 PM

My son asked to wear underwear too and refused the pullup just a few weeks after he was fully day trained.  He was dry for about a week and then every night we were changing sheets.  I started taking him to the bathroom before I go to bed and he has only had one accident since, which has been a few months.  Since he didn't want the pullup I didn't want to force it on him, honestly, I wouldn't want to sleep in one of those either because they do look kinda scratchy.  You could try the extra nighttime potty trip and see if that helps at all.

by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 6:46 PM

My girlfriends uses the Little Movers diapers from Huggies instead of Pull-ups.  She said that her kid finds them much more comfortable and you are still able to pull them on and off.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)