Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

He won't stay in his bed!!

Posted by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 11:39 PM
  • 7 Replies
So my son is a year and a half and has never slept in his bed all night. We share a room and typically he wakes up in the middle of the night and climbs into my bed. Before i was fine with it, and sometimes it's still ok but other times i just want the bed to myself. How do i get him to stay in his bed? Is it going to be harder to achieve that point since he sleeps in my room?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 11:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
babowes
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 11:42 PM
1 mom liked this
move the beds side by side
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 1:07 AM
2 moms liked this

you have to keep putting him back, every single time.  you give in once and you start back over and make it even harder the next time.

sahm2elinzoe
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 12:36 PM

This may sound bad at first, but it's safe and works.  We ended up having to lock my son in his room to keep him in.  I tried just putting him back but it soon became a game and wasn't working so we put one of those child safety locks on the inside of his door around the knob.  We live in a two story house too and I can't just have him getting out of his room and falling down the stairs in the middle of the night.  He yelled and banged on the door at first but we didn't give in and now he goes down without a problem.  When he wants out he knows he just has to knock on his door and we'll be right there to let him out.  Also, if you need to get in their fast it's nice to now that there's nothing impeding the door from the outside as anyone can just open it up quickly.

EvilAsh
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 12:37 PM

Keep putting him back and don't allow him to sleep with you. He'll get the hint eventually.

LoveonHollySt
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 1:06 PM

I just got my son (1.5 yo) to sleep in his toddler bed but he still tries to get out of rm in the morning.  I put up a baby gate on the outside of the rm.  He can't get out, don't have to worry about locking him in, and he shares a rm with his 3yo sister so he is not alone.  Besides the gate, whenever he got up I put him back in the bed.  Eventually we were able to get him to undertand that the bed is where you sleep and that is that.

sophiesmom07
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 1:54 PM

I would use the Supernanny method.  Hugs and cuddles and then into bed. Send him back every time he gets out of bed.  It may take a while, but you have to stick to it.

Heret-Kau
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 2:51 PM

Ha! My little girl did that too. I just left her in there until she got the point. Most of it was that she just would get up to play, and pull out all her clothes.  She would end up making a pile on the floor and falling asleep behind the door. She did start to realize she was getting tired and try to make it back to her bad, and she would fall asleep standing up bent over her bed. Kids are so talented! The worse was when I left the Auquafor in her reach, she got naked and smeared her self with it from head to toe, then fell asleep behind the door. That was hilarious. A greased up kid is just beyond hard to catch and clean I just fell over laughing. 

I wish the camera in her room caught this, just watching her in bed is so funny some times. She will sit up and play and listening to her talk and yell at her toys is priceless!

Quoting sahm2elinzoe:

This may sound bad at first, but it's safe and works.  We ended up having to lock my son in his room to keep him in.  I tried just putting him back but it soon became a game and wasn't working so we put one of those child safety locks on the inside of his door around the knob.  We live in a two story house too and I can't just have him getting out of his room and falling down the stairs in the middle of the night.  He yelled and banged on the door at first but we didn't give in and now he goes down without a problem.  When he wants out he knows he just has to knock on his door and we'll be right there to let him out.  Also, if you need to get in their fast it's nice to now that there's nothing impeding the door from the outside as anyone can just open it up quickly.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)