Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

When should I start allowing my DD to learn to wipe herself?

Posted by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 3:28 PM
  • 17 Replies

She is 31 months, has been potty trained full time for about 5 months. I don't feel like she is old enough to wipe herself well enough, She is persistenton doing it all on her own. I have explained to her how to wipe from front to back and how much toilet paper to use. I let her try and I go behind her and make sure she is all clean. But she is going to the bathroom without telling anyone and wiping herself and pulling her pants up, washing her hands and going back to what she was doing. I can only tell because she doesnt flush when she does it alone and the water mess all over the sink, and later the stench in her panties of urine. I keep encouraging her to tell mommy or daddy when she needs to go and we will come wipe her, and alot of the time we will caught her before she is done and we get her wiped but she sneaks it whenever she can. If I keep with the "wiping lessons" do you think she is old enough to start wiping and using the bathroom by herself?

by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 3:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kflemino22
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 3:34 PM

My older son (5) was potty trained at 3 1/2.  I let him wipe himself at that time, but I would help him and wipe again after for awhile until he got the hang of really being able to wipe well.  I'd say it's better to start them young and just help them as needed and teach them how to do it, but as I said my son was a few months older than your daughter when he finally was potty trained.

Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 4:03 PM

I wiped my son up until he started K and he didn't have a choice but to do it himself at school (at preschool the teacher helped him).  Yeah, he would try but this was one area that I was fine keeping on top of.  Nothing grosser than skid marks at the end of the day :(  He would also use 1/2 a pack of flushable wipes if I wasn't right there.  He's 6 now and understands to start with tp and then finish with no more than 2 wipes.

I still wipe my 3 1/2 year old WHEN she informs me she's pooped.  A lot of times she'll poop and not tell me and she won't wipe at all.  She tends to lean toward constipated so there's never much, if any, residue but it still grosses me out.

Marimaru
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 4:06 PM

My 3 1/2 year old always tells me when she has pooped, so I always wipe her then.  She wipes herself when she pees, and I just make sure her crotch isn't red at bath time.  If it is, I'll wipe her a few times to show her again.

Gweneveer
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 6:04 PM

Ummm....yeah, my dd is 6 and still asks me to wipe her butt.  Its completely ridiculous!  lol

If she wants to do it, let her do it first, and you just double check it.  Nothing worse than an itchy bum, lmao!

PEEK05
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 6:06 PM

My daughter was 2 when she was wiping on her own. I helped her wipe her butt until 3 but she does everything great.  I have always explained to her that if she doesn't wipe well and from front to back, she can get a big owwie called an infection that would hurt or a rash that would also hurt. 

LucyHarper
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 6:06 PM

My son has wiped himself since he's been potty trained, at 20 months. He would wipe and if he didn't do a good enough job, we would send him back to do it again and in time he got the hang of it.

AMR320
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 6:16 PM
My DD has done it on her own since 2 1/2. She trained at 26 months and I only helped for 2-3 months after. She got a slight rash one time from not wiping well and after that she has never had a problem. My SIL still wipes her kids at 6, 6, & 4. I find it really odd.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
spunky946
by Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 10:16 PM

If she wants to do it, let her do it. She has to learn sometime.

heartslove09
by Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 11:56 PM

Well mine is 3 yrs old and about 6 months ago I started to teach her to pat her vagina dry after peeing but I supervised every single time until she got great at it. I made sure she learned the correct way to wipe so she wouldnt get a uti. Next to learn will be wiping after pooping. Also Yes she is old enough in my opinion.

hollydaze1974
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 12:15 AM
We didn't use dry tp for the boys until they entered school to be sure it was learned well.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)