Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

i want to potty train my 20 month old but...

Posted by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 11:04 PM
  • 20 Replies

i want to potty train my 20 month daughter but she doesn't seem ready and she's also behind in her speech so she say a few small words but not a lot.  i try once already but she seemed scared and i don't want her to hate the potty.  she'll be 2 at the end of may and was considering trying again around mid june or early august.  am i doing the rite thing by back off and waiting a few more months?  and sinse she doesn't talk much yet so not sure what i could use as  a reward?

by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 11:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tinakinakins
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 11:06 PM

My daughter is 21 months, doesn't say a lot, and seemed like she wasn't ready to potty train. All I did was pretend to go potty, and she sat on the potty to copy me. Ever since she's told me that she needed to go potty and she runs to her potty, and goes, granted she doesnt know how to pull down her pamper yet, but she's there already. Just be patient.

biomom1437
by Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 11:12 PM

well she seem kind of intersted in what i'm doing when i go potty.  she comes up and touches my underwear and grabs my legs but i just don't want to force the issue. 

Quoting tinakinakins:

My daughter is 21 months, doesn't say a lot, and seemed like she wasn't ready to potty train. All I did was pretend to go potty, and she sat on the potty to copy me. Ever since she's told me that she needed to go potty and she runs to her potty, and goes, granted she doesnt know how to pull down her pamper yet, but she's there already. Just be patient.

busymom64064
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 11:15 PM
1 mom liked this
Just let her be and go at her pace. She will regress/have potty issues if you push her when she clearly isnt ready

Quoting biomom1437:

well she seem kind of intersted in what i'm doing when i go potty.  she comes up and touches my underwear and grabs my legs but i just don't want to force the issue. 

Quoting tinakinakins:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mrsniebo
by Bronze Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 11:26 PM

If she's acting like she's not ready, do not push potty training yet. She's still young, so maybe she'll be more ready in a few more months.

collinsmommy0
by Silver Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 11:58 PM
I have DS sit on the potty a few times a day & he pees in it sometimes. We read books & he brings stuffed animals who he makes pretend to go on the potty.

I also have him run around 1/2 naked at least 5-10 min a day....sometimes he runs & goes to the potty then too.

But a lot of the time he doesn't pee or poop in it & refuses to sit in it - I just let him go play at that point.

It's more of getting used to the potty at this age.
deya211
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 8:40 AM

I think she will get it when shes ready.The most important part is to not force or rush them to it because they wont listen.Its like a power control thing.

.Angelica.
by Angie on Feb. 12, 2013 at 10:49 AM
You could just let her get comfortable with the potty at this point. Before I Took my son out of diapers I would sit him on the potty first thing in the morning because I knew that he would stay dry all night and pee a lot upon waking so that way he wasnt wanting to hold it and he got lots of praise and figured out what the potty was for then.
othermom
by Silver Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 11:05 AM

Yes, I would back off for a while. When I trained my kids I started having them sit on the potty at every daiper change and before bed, ect. For my son he was rewarded with pocket change, my youngest with m&ms.

Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 11:43 AM

You cannot train a child that doesn't want to be trained.  She has to be willing and, if she's not, she's not ready.  My son was 3 1/2 when he trained, my daughter was about 2 years 9 months.  Once we took on the task they were totally willing participants and they trained lickety split.

You are doing the right thing by waiting until she's not scared or resisting.  You don't have any control over the function anyway.  You can't make her go so just sit tight and be patient.  You can continue to casually introduce it.  I used to let my dd just run around naked in the evenings.  She would come and go from that toilet 1000 times in 20 mins and never used it but it also wasn't scary so that was a positive!  We trained both kids on the adult potty and left a step stool next to it so they could access it on their own.

wonderstruck11
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 12:15 PM
My daughter is almost 15 months and we started a couple days ago. I got her a potty that plays a song when you pee and she gets so excited and dances around. It seems to be working for us, but I am a SAHM, so I can ask her and take her every 5 minutes. I have a wipes case in there and I'm thinking of getting stickers so she can decorate it as a reward. Good luck to you! Potty training is the hardest thing we have had to teach then!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN