Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Are they making clothing smaller?

Posted by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 6:59 PM
  • 54 Replies

It seems like a lot of other mom's are having the same problem. My 3 year old is wear 5t pants and 4t shirts. Anyone else notice this?

CafeMom Tickers

by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 6:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
randhferedinos
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 10:34 PM
1 mom liked this
I don't think so. My 5 year old wears 4t still and my 3 year old wears 2t and some 3t. I think the average child has gotten larger recently.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
preacherskid
by Bronze Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 10:36 PM

My four year old, who is not large at all, wears a size four- just four- in pants and can wear a sze five in shirts.  She is about 36-38 inches tall.

OliviaW.
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 10:36 PM
1 mom liked this

Might be just depending on where the clothes come from. Many clothes that are made overseas run smaller than clothes made in the US.

AMR320
by Bronze Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 10:38 PM
My kids are too scrawny for all the clothes. My 4 year old has to have adjustable waist or safety pins to hold up her pants. My 18 month olds pants just fall off because they dont make adjustable waist.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ardiaxe
by Bronze Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 12:20 AM

Quoting randhferedinos:

I don't think so. My 5 year old wears 4t still and my 3 year old wears 2t and some 3t. I think the average child has gotten larger recently.

I was going to write the same thing.  My 4.5 yr old wears 4-5t and my 2 yr old wears 18-24 month clothing.  They are both a little below average in height and weight.

Kids are just getting bigger.

kayleesmom42328
by Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 12:24 AM
My 2 1/2 yr old dd is wearing some 3t clothes. She is skinny but shirts & pants fit fine. Some pants we have to pin because they are too big on her.
Amberleigh81
by Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 12:37 AM
My kid wears 9-18 month clothes and he's 16mo. He's a little squirt, though! :)
Hutersmom
by Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 12:41 AM
My son is 3 but very tall he's to skinny for 5t but to tall for 4t :/ it's aggravating lol either his pants are falling off of he's wearing high waters. I don't think they are making it smaller just the populating is growing bit in hight and width in general
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
.Angelica.
by Angie on Feb. 13, 2013 at 12:55 AM

i don't think so. certain brands run smaller (or larger) than others.

MrsSufi
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 1:35 AM
1 mom liked this

I think it just depends on where you are shopping.  I have high quality 6 mos size onesies that still fit my 13 month old and 2T shirts from other brands that also fit her well.  I have also purchased some 2T shirts that are way too big in the sleeve.  To be fair, the 6 mos size is reaching its end and I will soon need to put them away or donate. 

I have found that lines like Carter's or what you find at Target do not last nearly as long as the items I have gotten from children's boutiques.  Gap clothing seems to manage 2 size seasons and Kohl's is great for quick wardrobe fillers that she can grow into when they have their sales.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)