Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

uh ok, what now

Posted by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 10:57 PM
  • 4 Replies

my husband is working out of town and we have a new baby in the house too. my 2 yr old is happy to have a little sisster and trys to help. I have had no jelousy issues what so ever (i am surprized, i was expecting to) well saturday he fell off the counter-he saw me coming and knew he was going to be in trouble and fell in his hurry to get down. he has a nice goose egg center forhead. (mom of two older boys too) my husband drove in late saturday night to spend a single day with us for the frist time in two weeks. all day sunday the 2yr old had tempertanurms over everything from us saying no to him droping a toy. i was worried that mabie he hit harder then i thought, but my husband left sunday night and suddenly the 2ye old was back to normal. When his dad first left two weeks ago i had to deal with 2 yr old grabing his travel pellow and blanket any time the front door opend and him saying "go with dadda" it lasted for 3 days. i belive 2 yr old was pushing buttens sunday "to see if dad was going to stay or leave agin" In one of the parenting classes i took, young children going through a devorce tended to do just that if the parents decided to try agin. i am not good at explaning it. but if it is what he is doing then how can i get him to understand that this is the way it has to be for now.

my husband took the job because a bills are overdue, and the company has worked with us so much -he worked 4 days then had to take 3 weeks off on account of my pg getting vary bad and life threatning. B the company is expanding here so by mid/late summer he will be home. 

by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 10:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
Paradys
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 11:03 PM
You just keep explaining that daddy will be home again, then explaining that daddy is home for a little while only, and keep bring firm about what behaviours are not ok.
When they're acting out like that is the worst time to give in. Also talks about how not fun it it to spend your time while daddy's home being in trouble!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
collinsmommy0
by Silver Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 12:06 AM
It's probably just due to the change in schedule/expectation.

Maybe have your husband FaceTime or Skype with him more often? Then prepare him before he comes home - talk about it, have him draw a picture for your husband, etc.....and is also talk to your husband about having different expectations when he visits (the toddler isn't going to listen as much, toddler will need extra help, etc due to the change).
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
.Angelica.
by Angie on Feb. 13, 2013 at 12:58 AM

can you dh call you guys and speak to him no the phone? Or better yet, you could video chat?

iansmommy9
by Silver Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 5:40 AM

My husband is a  police officer and we deal with him being away from us on a much smaller scale. He leaves for work at 4:30 AM and doesn't get home until almost 6PM.Bedtime is 8. On the days DH works, DS sees him very little. After a long weekend, he's wanting his daddy. I explain that daddy is at work, but if he really needs to talk to him, we can call him on the phone. If he's on a call and can't answer, I tell him that daddy is helping somebody, but will call us back just as soon as he can. The phone has worked wonders for our problem.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN