Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Sleep Issues

Posted by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 2:26 AM
  • 5 Replies
Does anyone have any advice for me? My two year old is fighting his sleep at night like crazy! He will pout and cry all while telling us he's tired. He finds toys to climb on to turn on his light...which makes me wonder if he is scared of the dark. He gets out of the bed and plays with his toys too! It's almost 1:30am and he is still awake playing!!! He was going to bed about 8-8:30 before just fine. We just moved into a new home and have his new baby brother home from hospital so there has been a lot of change for him! Anyone else deal with this with their kiddos? Help please! :)
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 2:26 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
iansmommy9
by Silver Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 5:25 AM

My 2.5 year old is going through the same thing, except not staying up quite so late. He's refusing to take a nap and then doesn't want to go to bed. It's an absolute fight every night the last week or so. 

In your case, your son may need a night light since he's in a new room.  Change can be really scarey for them at this age.

izzyNbraxsMOM
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 2:18 PM

Quoting iansmommy9:

My 2.5 year old is going through the same thing, except not staying up quite so late. He's refusing to take a nap and then doesn't want to go to bed. It's an absolute fight every night the last week or so. 

In your case, your son may need a night light since he's in a new room.  Change can be really scarey for them at this age.

We bought him a night light that projects stars onto the walls and ceiling!! He did better last night. Still put up a small fight...but wasn't up so late this time around. I also didn't give him a nap during the day. He's taking a nap today though...so we'll see how it works!

sahm2elinzoe
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 3:19 PM

Great idea to buy a nigh tlight, our son has one that does stars too and he loves it.  Another thing may be get a sleepy time cd and play music in his room.  Ousr kind of helps set the tone for bed and than we leave it on.  Usually by the time it's done playing our son is asleep.  Personally, I'm sure it's just a phase and I would just go in in his room every 30 minutes or so, lay him back in bed without engaging him too much and calming tell him it's bed time.  Don't let it become a power struggle or get you too upset.  Best of luck!

kflemino22
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 3:23 PM

My 5 year old went through this when he was 2 and my now 2 year old is going through it as well at this time.  I think it's many things.  I think change (such as a move or a new baby is definitely something that can be part of the reason they do it) along with their age and seeing what they can get away with.  At this age they are starting to figure out that they can "not listen" and they want to see how far they can take that.  We just keep putting our 2 year old back in his bed (and that is what we did with our 5 year old when he did that at 2 years old as well).  Eventually they just quit fighting it as they know that they will have to go to bed.  It varies how long it takes.  Our 5 year old took a month or two to get back on track when he did it.  Our now 2 year old has been doing it for a couple weeks and is already getting better and going to sleep sooner.

.Angelica.
by Angie on Feb. 14, 2013 at 5:52 PM

sounds like it could just be due to all the change. maybe sit with him in his room next to his bed until he falls asleep? That's what I used to have to do with my son. though I didn't have a newborn to care for at the time so it was a little easier. lol. Hope you figure something out. :(

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN