Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Problem with snacking all day:/ HELP

Posted by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 1:44 PM
  • 6 Replies
I'm trying to find the best way to go about getting my three year old:) to understand we cannot eat all day long! It's so hard I feel so bad:/ she literally thinks about food every five minutes? Hmm:/ even when she's really full she just wants snacks and I feel bad for trying to restrict it ?? Anyone ever have these issues? Should I just give her what she wants?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 1:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
RobynS
by Robyn on Feb. 13, 2013 at 1:52 PM

NO! Don't just give her what she wants. That means giving her the control and that's not good for you OR for her.

Food should be nourishment, not a solution to boredom. You don't want to set her up for unhealthy habits later on. We hardly ever do snacks at all, but I don't see anything wrong with a small healthy snack between b-fast and lunch and another between lunch and dinner.

But set a schedule--snack times will be at 10am and 3pm (for example) and STICK TO IT.

Don't feel bad, mama. It's good for her to have that kind of structure and also more comforting for her to realize that mama is in control. She may get upset at first, but it won't last.

Good luck! :)

sahm2elinzoe
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 4:30 PM

Honestly, I let my LO's snack all the time.  I just try and make sure they're healthy snacks like fruits and vegetables.  Also, we talk aobut how you will get a tummy ache if you over eat and how it's not healthy to do that.  Everyone is different though so do what works for you and your family.  

erinsmom1964
by Carrie on Feb. 14, 2013 at 4:46 PM
I totally disagree. I keep a plate of raw veges available anytime. It is a proven fact that 6 small meals a day :are better foe your metabolism and health. Just make sure what you offer is healthy and let the child listen to her body. Denying and setting all these riduclious rules about eating is a large reason for the growing obesity rates in this country. Dont make them finish all their plates either. Especially children who are growing and whos bodies can have different NEEDS day to day
.Angelica.
by Angie on Feb. 14, 2013 at 5:40 PM

I let my kids snack when they want. but my oldest hardly eats anything so any food he wants I usually give (and no, he won't eat regular meals even if he didn't have any snacks) I would only offer healthy snacks, like a piece of fruit or a veggie. If she is really full just try to distract her with something.

Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 7:05 PM

You shouldn't ever just give a child what they want just because they want it.  It sounds like she's learning to eat from boredom which isn't a great habit to bring into adulthood...

Make sure she's eating lots of protein which will keep her full longer.  Then you know she's not "starving".  Feed her 3 balanced meals and 2 healthy snacks and then just keep her busy with fun activities to keep her mind off of food.  If she's going thru a growth spurt she may need slightly larger portions so be sure to adjust those as she grows.

I do agree with keeping a plate of raw veggies available to her.  Those are fine to eat all day long.

Yogamom08
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 7:06 PM
Offer her fruits and vegetables if she is hungry. Don't just let her eat whatever she wants
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)