Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Need Free or cheap toddler activity ideas

Posted by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 4:01 PM
  • 9 Replies

I am a SAHM to a 22 month old DD and an 8 month old DS. We are fairly new to our area and only have one friend so far. Our families are several hours away. My DD has reached the point where I believe she would really benefit from activities out of the house where she can interact with others. We have a play date or 2 most weeks and we've started going to the story time at our library.

We did a kindermusik class that we both loved but it is very expensive so we could only go one semester. I called the My Gym in our area and I think she would love that and it would be great bc they offer a sibling class. BUT its way to expensive. We might could afford it one month but not continuously. 

So my question is what do you and your toddlers do for free or cheap activities out of the house?

by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 4:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
emkirkley
by Silver Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 4:17 PM

pinterest, abcmouse.com, and tons of blogs have learn at home activities that are inexpensive and easy.

emkirkley
by Silver Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 4:18 PM

as far as  getting out of the house become a member at a local zoo as your bday gift for your child, or the local children's museum.  Look to your local library as well.  There are MOMS clubs and MOPS clubs all over the US if you are in the US, if you need links to look for some in your area I can post some.

corrinacs
by Platinum Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 4:24 PM

Dollar Tree.  They have so many  things you could do in there its crazy :).  A lot of craft type items for a buck :).

.Angelica.
by Angie on Feb. 14, 2013 at 6:15 PM

you could do scavengers hunts outside. just go out looking for a list of things.

collinsmommy0
by Silver Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 6:25 PM
Local kids museum, park, zoo membership - we belong to a local kids zoo & a far away (1 hour drive) aquarium. I've gone to the aquarium once a month with DS for the past 6 months. The membership cost $100, but we do free parking & walk in & bring a lunch

Moms group - local moms groups will often have a yearly fee but then have weekly play dates or park play dates

Cheaper classes can usually be found through the town - I found a town based toddler gym class for less than half of Gymboree/little gym classes, etc
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Marimaru
by Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 6:45 PM

Check your local library.  Many of them have story times and such.

mrsniebo
by Bronze Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 7:10 PM

If you ask other moms at library storytime, you may find other activities in the area. (This is largely how I've found things to do with my 2 yr old.) When the weather is nice, DD loves going to the park, gardening, coloring with sidewalk chalk, riding her tricycle, or going for a wagon ride around the neighborhood (which is good for getting myself some exercise). When the weather's not so good and we need to get out, we may go to the Humane Society to see the cats (the barking dogs make DD nervous, so we don't usually go into the dog halls) or to Petco to look at the fish.

DACIA79
by Bronze Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 7:23 PM
What city do you live in I would suggest and zoo and childrens museum membership
wingmom
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 7:51 PM

If there is a church you would even consider going to go and see if there is nursery for the kids during church, its free (or you can donate) and its a great way to meet people and have the kids meet other kids, and just see if you like it or not. I used to take my son to a mall when he was that age, granted it was a very small country mall without big crowds, big enough to let him run around, climb on the cars (he would ask for a quarter I would say, pretend! and he would he didnt care) and I could still keep an eye on him. Depends on the mall i guess. I also used to take him to a local pet store pretty regularly, they would always let us hold the puppies or kittens, just for fun, they even knew us so well they would tell us which dog or dogs hadnt had a chance to get out that day and be held, and we would do it which helped the poor dogs too to get out their cages and we could cuddle them.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)