Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Kids and pets...(edit)

Posted by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 4:44 PM
  • 24 Replies

So my dd is 5 and ds will be 3 next month.  My friend is selling pure bred golden retrievers and has one left!  I'm thinking about getting her, if ds' allergy test comes back clear that he's not allergic to dogs.  What are your thoughts?  Do you guys have dogs or have you introduced a puppy?  I'm saying yes and no in my head lol.  Dh is deployed and said yes to the puppy and that it was up to me since he's not home, but I'm going back and forth, what do you guys think?

Thank you for all the replies!  She ended up selling the puppy today :(  But I'm excited to take some time and find the right dog.. and spring or summer might be better anyhow.  Anyway, thank you all so much!

by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 4:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
emkirkley
by Silver Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 4:51 PM
2 moms liked this

If you have the time and energy for it go for it.  puppies require constant care and work just like an infant, and retrievers stay in "puppy" mode for 2-3 years so good training is a must.  We have two dogs and two cats.

AleaKat
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 4:52 PM
1 mom liked this
Oh yes my kids love their dog. And golden retrievers are great with kids!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mama.samm.2.3
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 5:10 PM
2 moms liked this
We have a dog. She was a pup when we got her. The girls love her! But puppies are alot of work. So as long as you have the time and energy then I say go for it. Golden retrievers are also great with kids. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LucyHarper
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 5:12 PM
1 mom liked this

Personally, I wouldn't get a golden retriever due to experiances in the past, maybe if it were another breed. We have three dogs, a german shepherd, a pitbull, and an english springer spaniel. 

careyphotoo
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 5:49 PM
1 mom liked this
I say yes as long as you have the time for potty training puppies keep you on ur toes. We have a mini dash which everyone says that there not good with kids but she is amazing with my soon to be 3yr old.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Eyez79
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 5:50 PM
2 moms liked this
Yes we've got two blue nose Pitt bulls ages 1and 3 months great with the kids.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
LoveMommyhood12
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 5:59 PM
1 mom liked this

We have a dog and a cat.  Both are older (dog is around though.  My DS LOVES both of them - and they (even the cat sometimes!) love him back.  I think kids and puppies are adorable together - but I don't know that I'd be able to handle both! 

My parents got a puppy when I was a baby.  The dog and I basically grew up together and had a really special bond. 

If you can handle it all - I say go for it.  Golden Retrievers are great dogs - and will be amazing with your kids :)

.Angelica.
by Angie on Feb. 14, 2013 at 6:09 PM

I would read up on normal breed behaviours and decide what kind of energy level, grooming needs, trainability and all that, that you are wanting and find a dog that is going to be a good match for your family.

I have a dog now and want to get another in the future.

corrinacs
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 8:30 PM

Good luck :):).  I had a dog prior to my first son being born and we loved her.  SHe loved Caden.  Unfortuantely, Caden is severely allergic to dogs (sends him into asthma attacks) so we had to give her away :( :(.  But she was the sweetest.  She was a papillion named Lulu :)

ejsmom4604
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 8:39 PM

Have had both cats and dogs. Kids did great, and it was a wonderful way to teach the kids to be gentle and kind. My little one pets the cat and says "nice" when he does. :) 

However, I don't personally search for purebreds, I do check shelters because you can find so many different kinds of dogs and cats there. Many are wonderful with kids :) 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN