Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

So my dd is 5 and ds will be 3 next month.  My friend is selling pure bred golden retrievers and has one left!  I'm thinking about getting her, if ds' allergy test comes back clear that he's not allergic to dogs.  What are your thoughts?  Do you guys have dogs or have you introduced a puppy?  I'm saying yes and no in my head lol.  Dh is deployed and said yes to the puppy and that it was up to me since he's not home, but I'm going back and forth, what do you guys think?

Thank you for all the replies!  She ended up selling the puppy today :(  But I'm excited to take some time and find the right dog.. and spring or summer might be better anyhow.  Anyway, thank you all so much!

by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 4:44 PM
Replies (21-24):
MegG25
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 11:07 PM

That's what I was reading about!  I heard they only listen to one person for a little bit until they learn the dynamics of the "den", then they will take commands from others later on.  I heard the females trained faster, but they all train quickly because of their intelligence.  My dh is deployed so the one thing I'm concerned about is that when he gets back she won't be loyal to him or she'll be slow to warm up to him lol.  Do you think if he sent a shirt once or month and she was used to his smell that would help?  Or just more training when he came home?  The puppies are due in March, and won't be able to leave until they are 8wks so around May.  Which would be perfect, school will be done and I don't think I'll go back to work this summer.  So, I'll have lots of time to take care of her and train her.

Quoting LucyHarper:

She's a fantastic dog. They do shed a lot during hot months, but we just keep her brushed and its not a big problem. Their hair is almost like human hair and is very easier to sweep/vacuum up. They are very loyal dogs, they are also very smart dogs, so you just have to make sure that you train them well so they know whose boss. 

Quoting MegG25:

How does your German Shepherd do?  Is the hair hard to clean up after? Good with the kids and family? I found a breeder and she seems very trustworthy... absolutely will NOT sell a puppy to a family unless it has the right temperment.  So, I trust the lady to find the right puppy for our family.  I had a part German shepherd when I was younger and she was the best dog we ever had.  Dh really wants one as well, I was just curious on your input..?

Quoting LucyHarper:

Personally, I wouldn't get a golden retriever due to experiances in the past, maybe if it were another breed. We have three dogs, a german shepherd, a pitbull, and an english springer spaniel. 

LucyHarper
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 11:17 PM

They have excellent memories when it comes to whom they are loyal to. As long as hes around when you originally get and train her, it shouldn't be a problem. When our dog was about a year old my husband had to go away for a few months to meet with some people about some personal things and when he got back, it was like he was never gone with her, she is extremely attached to him since he was the one who found her in the first place. I know people with german shepherds who are in the military and never had problems with them after a deployment. They are also very good with the den aspect, they understand how it works. Like our dog gets a little nervous when adults who are strangers walk in the house for the first time, but if its a child whom she doesn't know, she doesn't even blink at them, she knows that they are small and aren't a threat, and as soon as she realizes someone is safe, she never gets nervous about them again.

Quoting MegG25:

That's what I was reading about!  I heard they only listen to one person for a little bit until they learn the dynamics of the "den", then they will take commands from others later on.  I heard the females trained faster, but they all train quickly because of their intelligence.  My dh is deployed so the one thing I'm concerned about is that when he gets back she won't be loyal to him or she'll be slow to warm up to him lol.  Do you think if he sent a shirt once or month and she was used to his smell that would help?  Or just more training when he came home?  The puppies are due in March, and won't be able to leave until they are 8wks so around May.  Which would be perfect, school will be done and I don't think I'll go back to work this summer.  So, I'll have lots of time to take care of her and train her.

Quoting LucyHarper:

She's a fantastic dog. They do shed a lot during hot months, but we just keep her brushed and its not a big problem. Their hair is almost like human hair and is very easier to sweep/vacuum up. They are very loyal dogs, they are also very smart dogs, so you just have to make sure that you train them well so they know whose boss. 

Quoting MegG25:

How does your German Shepherd do?  Is the hair hard to clean up after? Good with the kids and family? I found a breeder and she seems very trustworthy... absolutely will NOT sell a puppy to a family unless it has the right temperment.  So, I trust the lady to find the right puppy for our family.  I had a part German shepherd when I was younger and she was the best dog we ever had.  Dh really wants one as well, I was just curious on your input..?

Quoting LucyHarper:

Personally, I wouldn't get a golden retriever due to experiances in the past, maybe if it were another breed. We have three dogs, a german shepherd, a pitbull, and an english springer spaniel. 

corrinacs
by Platinum Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 7:06 PM

My son's cat and dog allergy are very high.  I don't remember the numbers, but I know it was 30+ like what you experienced.

If his levels were lower, we would test the theory to see if he was actually not allergic anymore.  If he deals with a foster dog for a while, then we'd consider getting a dog (or adopting the foster dog :)).

Hope that helps!

Quoting MegG25:

My ds is highly highly allergic to cats!  It was so hard getting rid of them, but my son was in the hospital for 3 days with his asthma.. we didn't know he had asthma nor did we know he was allergic.  But it was tough so I understand where you are coming from.  The Dr. said he has a very low allergy to dogs, .35 as compared to a 33 to cats.  Dh is allergic to dogs saliva and get eczema if they lick his arm.. just in that area.  But anyway, what was your son's score?  Would you get a dog if his allergy score was as low as my son's?  I just don't want to gamble with my son or fall in love with a dog and then find out it really triggers his asthma.  The dr. said the only way we'll really know is by trial and error so now I'm just not sure.  What do you think?

Quoting corrinacs:

Good luck :):).  I had a dog prior to my first son being born and we loved her.  SHe loved Caden.  Unfortuantely, Caden is severely allergic to dogs (sends him into asthma attacks) so we had to give her away :( :(.  But she was the sweetest.  She was a papillion named Lulu :)

MegG25
by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 10:32 PM

That's what I'm worried about.. dh is gone now and won't be back for quite a while.  Do you think it would take a long time to warm up to him?

Quoting LucyHarper:

They have excellent memories when it comes to whom they are loyal to. As long as hes around when you originally get and train her, it shouldn't be a problem. When our dog was about a year old my husband had to go away for a few months to meet with some people about some personal things and when he got back, it was like he was never gone with her, she is extremely attached to him since he was the one who found her in the first place. I know people with german shepherds who are in the military and never had problems with them after a deployment. They are also very good with the den aspect, they understand how it works. Like our dog gets a little nervous when adults who are strangers walk in the house for the first time, but if its a child whom she doesn't know, she doesn't even blink at them, she knows that they are small and aren't a threat, and as soon as she realizes someone is safe, she never gets nervous about them again.

Quoting MegG25:

Quoting LucyHarper:

Quoting MegG25:

Quoting LucyHarper:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)