Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Have you ever regretted a move, do you like where you live?

Posted by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 2:49 PM
  • 25 Replies

I am so regretting a move we made last June. And its my fault because I convinced my husband we should move closer to my family about two hours from where we were. Long story short my family has shown me they dont care about me or my son, and I find myself being sick with homesickness for our old house and church. I feel like I am a bit over obsessed about it. My husband found his dream house here so we did it, but its got no yard, and our old house was smaller but with this HUGE fenced in yard, with farm fields behind, and I cant believe how much I miss the yard, the open space and the views. I have had the thought that if I beg my husband long enough he might move back (we rented out the other house cuz we couldnt sell it) but Im really trying hard to not get to that point. Trying to just make the best of this location but also hating myself and wondering when I will just get over it, despite how negatively I feel about this house. My son has done well in both places, he is 4. Have you ever moved and regretted it?

by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 2:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mariesmama
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 2:56 PM

i didnt care where we moved with the tax money last spring, but told hubby if we move where his family is i'd have a hard time finding work well almost a yr later i'm right the family we moved across the state to be near ignores us since he lost his job i knew this would happen last yr but try telling him that now neither of us is working

Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 4:12 PM

No.  I live about 20 mins from where I grew up.  I live in the suburbs of a large city.  Our neighborhood is less than 15 years old and is a "built green" community.  It's in a fantastic school district and we are lucky to be able to live here.

We contemplated moving to S.F. right after we got married but now that we have kids we wouldn't move away from family.

I'm sorry you are having a tough time.  If you are really truly unhappy then have that discussion with your husband.  IMO, if you are going to move back, do it before your son starts school and establishes some roots and friendships and then it's really hard to uproot him.

cookinmommyof1
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 4:58 PM
Don't regret the move, but kind of not getting a bigger house. Lol. We only have 2 rooms, but will have 2 kids in july, and ds's room is not big enough for 2 kids. We are turning the front entry way into a makeshift baby room. We don't really use the front door anyway.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
babyspots17
by Bronze Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 4:59 PM
I absolutely hate where we live! We live in Virginia and moved here for my dh job opportunity. He has a good job but it is to far from our families. My parents health is horrible and I just wish I were close enough to help them. My kids miss my parents and my ILs terribly and we waste most of our "extra" money on traveling to visit them. If my dh got an offer even within 3 hrs of either of our families I would be packed and ready to leave before the ink dried on his employment offer!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Firenygirl180
by Bronze Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 5:05 PM
I like the area we lube in but I'm not a fan of our house. I saw itright away, but df is only seeing everything clear now after we've been in for a month.
We have 3 bedrooms, i wanted 4. The kitchen has no storage and the matter bath is awkward.
Technically this is df's house because he bought it himself, the joys of not being married!
We have lots of plans for what we would like to do to the house in the future so hopefully that will help. Plus we are on 10 acres, only house on the street and surrounded by farmland
Firenygirl180
by Bronze Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 5:05 PM
I like the area we lube in but I'm not a fan of our house. I saw itright away, but df is only seeing everything clear now after we've been in for a month.
We have 3 bedrooms, i wanted 4. The kitchen has no storage and the matter bath is awkward.
Technically this is df's house because he bought it himself, the joys of not being married!
We have lots of plans for what we would like to do to the house in the future so hopefully that will help. Plus we are on 10 acres, only house on the street and surrounded by farmland
.Angelica.
by Angie on Feb. 14, 2013 at 5:37 PM

we bought a house 6 1/2 years ago. I regret it. We are still living here and looking at what we COULD have got if we waited just a few more months makes me depressed :(

Gweneveer
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 9:24 PM

I have not, but I still live in the same city I grew up in.  Sorry you are having such a rough time.  Have you tried to get involved with another church?

MissTyff
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 10:12 PM

Well, we moved from a few towns over about 3 1/2 years ago. (About 2 hours away) Not a big deal except we moved in with my mom & grandma to help them take care of my grandpa who had gotten severe Alzheimer's and Dementia and his health was deteriorating very fast. He was my favorite person, I loved him so much, so of course if he needed me, I would be there. I'm also lucky to have a wonderful husband who agreed to this.
Now comes the bad part, and I will leave out a lot because it'd take forever to explain everything that happened.

My mom has.....issues. This became evident when in the following months she: set our bed on fire, fried our computer by pouring liquid on it when we were out of town, looked through our stuff and broke into our room when I started locking it, etc. We finally had to move out, by then they had grandpa in a nursing home, but we stayed in this town and I went to see him every day until he passed. 

I sorta regret moving here but at the same time I got to spend precious moments with my grandpa before he passed. I do wish we could move now though because she did something even worse since then. But my husband has a great job and a fantastic business opportunity coming up. 

CelestialSong
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 10:24 PM
Yes. We bought our first house right after we got married and before we knew we'd be having a baby a year and a half later. At the time, the house was perfect for us, met all of our needs (none of which are relevant anymore), and was within our very small price range. The big problem now is that we live in one of the most unsafe neighborhoods in the state. It's a high density, low income area, rife with drugs, gangs, violence, crime of all kinds, and full of people who just generally don't give a shit about anything. It has become intolerable to me. But we're stuck. We can't afford to buy a new house, and I don't know if we could afford to even sell this house anyway. I think about getting out of here every single day, and we are budgeting very tightly to save as much as we can (although my husband does not see the problem and would be happier to just stay... sometimes I want to just shake him until he opens his eyes and finally sees where we are).
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN