Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My poor DD is developing pretty bad car sickness on rides more that 30 minutes or so - I was the same way as a kid, and I feel so badly for her because I remember how miserable she felt.  Every Saturday for the next six weeks we have to go on an unavoidable hour long (each way) ride.  Does anyone have any advice for car sickness for little ones? 

by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 8:51 AM
Replies (11-20):
corrinacs
by Platinum Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 3:08 PM

1. DO NOT FEED HER BANANAS ANYWHERE NEAR THAT TRIP.  This makes it worse, much worse.

2. Speak to her pediatrician.  There are medicines that can help with car sickness :).  You take it prior to your trip and it should help her :).

Try chopping up your trip the best you can.  Especially really long ones, that way you can get your feet moving a little :)

AHmom103
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 5:24 PM

Don't let her eat for a couple hours before you go. My 3 year old gets carsick, but only if we go somewhere soon after eating. If her tummy's empty, she doesn't get sick at all.

LML1
by Bronze Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 8:17 PM

I'm sorry. We don't allow our dd to watch dvd's anymore in the car. She gets car sick when we drive in the sun and shade.

babowes
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 8:18 PM
Ginger
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
slrsgirl
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 9:15 PM

Our doctor told us to use childs chewable dramamine and it has worked for our 2 yr old (he throws us a lot). Cut it in half. so I would suggest calling your pediatrician

collinsmommy0
by Silver Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 9:20 PM
I third these. Super awesome for killing nausea While pregnant!

Have her stare at things far away - things that don't move, like clouds, mountain tops, etc

Quoting Marimaru:

I'm gonna second the sea bands, and also second the advice that says no toys or books.  Have them sing songs while they look out the window, or something, and tell them to look at things are far away instead of things that are close.

babowes
by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 1:56 PM
Could you go during nap time?
wingmom
by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 9:33 PM

dramamine, breathing in the nose and out the mouth, deep breaths, works for me Ive had it since I was a kid. Its so miserable, poor thing!! Making sure my belly is full, too, so my sugar doesnt drop during the trip- I munch constantly while I travel it helps keep my senses distracted and my sugar up, but of course for some that makes it worse. The pressure points on the wrists for dizziness, too. Also there are homeopaths for motions sickness you can get at Walmart or pharmacy, and keep a cool, wet cloth she can put on her forehead. Good luck mama!

ScrChk23
by Bronze Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 9:01 AM

have her sit by the window?  I'm not sure.  My brother would get it as a kid, but we just had to make sure that he sat in the middel seat and not the far back.  (we had a surburban)

katemckenzie
by Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 11:34 AM

Sea Bands always helped my little sister. Give her some Sprite to sip on as well. That always helped me as a child. Of course, as an adult I can't even smell the stuff without getting nauseated, because my mind automaticaly connects Sprite with sickness. Lol.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)