Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

ideas for teaching colors???

Posted by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 8:21 PM
  • 21 Replies

My son is three, he has always been ahead in everything. But he just won't get colors! i'm starting to wonder if hes color blind! He dosnt know even one color. We practice daily. ive tried teaching him multiple colors, but when he wasnt catching on i narrowed it down to one color. For the past two weeks we've been practicing Red. Just red. With valentines day i figured it would be easy. But still he dosent know. Any one have any tips to help us?

by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 8:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
babowes
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 8:23 PM
Oh man....tell the pedi....bc he should have gotten red by now
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
my4loves4
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 8:28 PM

i think im going to mention it to the doc at my daughters 4 month appointment in two weeks, to see if she thinks i should bring him in or not.... i just don't get it. My step daughter is two and can name most colors. My son has always been a quick learner, he did everything else early. (except walking) my hubby said he can't be color blind because neither of us are but i just know what else would cause this. Hes still learning everything else at a normal or above normal pace, its JUST this.

Quoting babowes:

Oh man....tell the pedi....bc he should have gotten red by now

hudson.maggie
by Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 8:29 PM
My daughter is 3.5 and she knows her colors.. But if I ask her what color something is she says she doesn't know.. I think she does it to Aggrivate me lol
my4loves4
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 8:32 PM

lol thats what i thought he was doing at first, but its clear now that he just dosent know. he says everything is blue or white.

Quoting hudson.maggie:

My daughter is 3.5 and she knows her colors.. But if I ask her what color something is she says she doesn't know.. I think she does it to Aggrivate me lol

Bek22
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 9:04 PM
I would definitely talk to your doctor about it. I think that it is an excellent idea that you are starting to focus on one color at a time. Everything you come across that is red, point to it or hold it up and say, "red." If you continue to do this every day he should get it. Good luck!
collinsmommy0
by Silver Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 9:09 PM
I would look up a color blind test online if he can read numbers (there's a number in one color, such as green, and a background in another color, such as red - if he's colorblind he won't be able to see anything)

DH is color blind & can't tell the difference between yellow & green.

What about playing color games - candy land (match the color), color games on an iPhone or computer, etc?

Color is pretty abstract but if he knows his letters or numbers he should get the concept
la_bella_vita
by Bella on Feb. 15, 2013 at 11:22 PM

I'm going through the same thing here. My son is smart in every way but mixes up colors.

my4loves4
by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 9:18 AM

maybe its just a boy thing lol

Quoting la_bella_vita:

I'm going through the same thing here. My son is smart in every way but mixes up colors.

mariesmama
by Gold Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 9:29 AM

ask him by holding up 2 do you want the red top or the blue one?

bhwrn1
by Brooke on Feb. 16, 2013 at 10:32 AM

Don't fear, my middle didn't show us he knew colors until he was about 4. something you can do it get construction paper and cut out squares. Place them around the house on things of the same color, and right the word on the paper, too (can't hurt to have him recognize that). Then go around pointing things out. Make sure you point things out when you're out and about, asking him what color it is, etc. It takes time. All kids learn at a different rate. My oldest and youngest knew colors right away, but not my middle. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)