Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Horrible sleep and nab habits.

Posted by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 8:58 PM
  • 13 Replies

I don't know how this happened, but it has.  I have two ds's 3 and 4.  Their sleeping and nap schedules have gone to complete crap and I don't know how to get out of it.  They both get up around 7:00ish.   Because they're so tired, they fall asleep around 3:00ish and sometimes will sleep until 6:00pm.  Then they are wide awake until 10:00pm or 11:00pm. I already know this is my fault and I let this happen but I really want to get out of this habit.  Part of the problem is the 3 yo will fall asleep for his nap with me on the couch and I really don't want to get up so I just let it happen b/c I'm so tired.  Has anyone been in this situation before?

by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 8:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
corrinacs
by Platinum Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:08 PM
2 moms liked this

Not really, but you can fix it.  

First of all, you need ot set a bedtime and naptimer outine.  Something that gives them time to settle down before they lay down.  This will make naptime and bedtime easier :).

Secondly, don't immediately jump and move thier naptime/bedtime upwards.  You will have to manage this gradually.   Lay them down 5 minutes ealier and earlier every 1-2 days :).  This should help reset thier bodies.

Also, take note of the lighting in the room they are sleaping in.  If its bright due to outside light, you may want to put darker curtains up.  The light from the sun will keep them awake.

Addysmomma11
by Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 1:22 AM
Yea I have a similar situation going on with my daughter. She is 2. She goes to her dads house on the weekends and when she comes home her nap and bedtime schedule is so out of wack. The first day she comes home she won't take her nap til 5 or 6pm when her dad says she woke up at 7. And when bedtime comes she doesn't want to go to sleep cause she either took a late nap or she's just so fussy. So the next day like today for instance she woke up at 8 but didn't want to take a nap 1 after lunch like I'd Like her too. She finally took a nap around 3 and went to bed tonight not til 930pm. I think that's pretty late for a 2 year old. Sometimes I think they just have a lot of energy. Now that they're getting older. I suggest trying to take them for a nice little walk let them run around it will tire them right after lunch and they'll take a good nap for you. And at a decent time. I also give my dd a bath at night time it helps her sleep better.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
The.Hug.Life
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 3:05 AM
2 moms liked this

Put them down for naps at 1pm, let them sleep until 3pm. Keep them awake until bedtime.

itsm3
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 7:42 AM
1 mom liked this

put them back on a sleep schedule. it's work on your part too so be consistent in order to reset their internal clock. use sleep charts as incentive.

do you find that they aren't tired by their regular naptime?  usually around that age, naps start to fade:  they are not tired by naptime and a later naptime causes bedtime battles (because they aren't tired by bedtime).

you have 1 of 3 choices:

1) make naptime later and then bedtime later

2) make naptime a little bit later but only let them sleep for 45min-1hr max.  wake them up and the bedtime 30mins later.

3) cut out naptime altogether and put them to bed 1hr earlier to make up for the lost sleep

to me, bedtime was more important than nap so when dd was about that age and started to fight her naps, i cut out her nap and put her to bed 1hr earlier.  she would zonk right out and sleep 13hrs straight until the next morning.

remember: pick a choice and stick with it.  if you flip-flop between the choices, their bodies will never adapt.  CONSISTENCY is key to reset their schedules!

legobaby
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 7:46 AM
I don't let my kids nap past 2:30. If they don't fall asleep by 2:00, I don't let them have a nap because I know I'll pay for it that night. I jut out them to bed at 6:30 if they're tired.
legobaby
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 7:50 AM
Also, my friend who is an expert at ped. sleep told me that at my son's age, 3.5, it is OK to wake him up after just 45 minutes, one sleep cycle, if I am having a hard time getting him to bed at night.
la_bella_vita
by Bella on Feb. 19, 2013 at 2:30 PM

I would try and get them to nap from about 1 to 3

PEEK05
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 11:50 PM

If they are going to take a nap, it needs to be earlier.  I'd aim around 12:45ish.

collinsmommy0
by Silver Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 12:01 AM
DS takes a nap around 3 pm now. If I let him sleep for 3 hours, he is up until about 9:30 at night, so a similar situation. I found if I wake him up after 2.5 hours of sleep he is much more likely to go to bed at 9 (usual time). So that's what I do.

Maybe find the time that works for you- 2 hour nap or 2.5, experiment with what works with them to still get them to sleep at a reasonable time.
.Angelica.
by Angie on Feb. 20, 2013 at 1:00 AM

I usually don't let my kids nap past a certain time. I've never had much of a problem with them staying up too late.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)