mom on computerSick of parents oversharing on Facebook? You've got a new friend in New York State! A judge has officially banned a mother from posting anything about her kids on Facebook. ANYTHING.

A lawyer for the mom, known in court documents only as Melody M., is arguing that the ruling unfairly prohibits his client from celebrating her kids' triumphs. So let me ask you something: when your kid does something super spectacular, what's the first thing you think? Is it "I can't wait to give him a hug" or "I can't wait to put that on Facebook"?

I think you see where I'm going with this, but just in case, let me spell it out for you ... it's entirely possible to celebrate the happy moments of parenting without Facebook. Moms and dads have been doing it for centuries!

Oversharing issues aside (because I could write a book on that but Blair Koenig of STFU Parents already has), one of the biggest problems I see with Facebook these days is the way it has turned parents from proud to boastful.

It's all well and good to share a cute photo of your kid with your friends (preferably one showing them clothed and not on a toilet). It's another thing to use Facebook to rub your good fortune at having a perfectly behaved genius who walks on water.

More From The Stir: TMI Alert: 7 Things About Your Kid We Don't Want to Hear

We get it, your kid rocks! But who are we supposed to be patting on the back here? Your kid or you for being such a fabulous person that you spawned this future Nobel Prize winner?

It seems the parents who insist on Facebooking every moment of their kids' lives are more "insecure a--hats looking for validation" than anything. Sharing that proud moment with their kids and their kids alone isn't enough for them -- they don't get any ego stroking out of it. And sharing the bad moments is necessary because there is nothing they love more than a pity party.

Not surprisingly, Melody M. ended up in court to begin with because she's in the later group. She was cited for cyberbullying her own son, a 10 year old with special needs. Mom called the little guy an a--hole right out on Facebook where everyone could see it.

And we're supposed to feel bad for her because she can't post nice things about her kids now? How about feeling bad for the kid with a mom who cares more about what her Facebook friends have to say than she does about her kids' feelings?

Do you have friends who need to rein it in on Facebook? What do they say?

Image via Wonderlane/Flickr