Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

My 21 month DS had to go for Early Intervention this morning for biting... *Update #2 in Pink*

Posted by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 12:50 PM
  • 58 Replies

My son's daycare pretty much insisted that my DS had to go for an evaluation because he bites other kids.  He's been biting almost daily at daycare, so I understand why they wanted me to go, but I was opposed to it because he's so young and because he's not an aggressive biter.  He bites when he's teething and excited/happy. 

In the end the EI folks explained that he did not qualify for their services, because he is 6-8 months ahead in all areas of cognitive and physical development. 

In short, the EI appointment was a pointless as I thought it would be, but at least I got confirmation that he's as advanced as I thought he was.    :-)

Thanks for letting me vent!    

Update #1:

This morning my DS's daycare made my DH (who does drop off) sign a release so they could call EI to get a specific OT eval for my DS.  The EI folks had to explain to the daycare that a sensory eval from an OT is only possible if a child meets eligibility criteria.  My DH and I decided to cancel our release since our DS doesn't meet criteria for services.  When I called the EI folks to tell them, they told me that the woman from our daycare was "very persistent" on the phone.  Then our daycare told us they were "very disappointed" about our decision to not let them communicate with the EI people.  I don't want them talking because it appears that my daycare's goal is to convince EI that my DS needs their services when he does not.  Neither my DH nor I were prepared for our daycare's adverse reaction to the news that my son didn't quality for EI services! 

Update #2:

At the meeting yesterday the daycare said that they don't trust the EI decision that our son doesn't qualify for services.  They then pretty much said that we had to get our DS an evaluation by an occupational therapist.  Has anyone had one?  I have no idea how to go about this!

by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 12:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
corrinacs
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 1:41 PM
1 mom liked this

Hey mom,

Its a catch 22 the position you are in.  One groups says you need this and the other doesn't.  Just make sure the therapists document in writing addressed to the daycare that he doesn't qualify for thier services.  

Before you cut ties, though, ask them ways that you can discourage him from biting.  I've never had a biter, so I have no idea how to deal with this.

Good luck mama~

emkirkley
by Silver Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 1:46 PM
1 mom liked this

We had something similar happen with one of my friends at MOPS...her son is a handful, but nothing totally out of the ordinary to me, but after some issues on Wednesday they said they wanted him evaluated by Early Steps before he could come back, the lady from early steps said that they just needed people who knew what they were doing in the 2 year old room at MOPS and that there was nothing wrong with her son at all.

lisahappymom
by Bronze Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 1:52 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes, the EI folks were very nice, and they are going to write everything up. 

The daycare has had major teacher turnover.  Two of the three teachers in my DS's classroom left within a week of each other in early January, and that's when his biting escalated to daily.  Last week they were finally back up to three full-time teachers in his room (instead of one full-time one with different subs everyday), and he only had two bites last week.  I think those numbers are quite telling.

Quoting corrinacs:

Hey mom,

Its a catch 22 the position you are in.  One groups says you need this and the other doesn't.  Just make sure the therapists document in writing addressed to the daycare that he doesn't qualify for thier services.  

Before you cut ties, though, ask them ways that you can discourage him from biting.  I've never had a biter, so I have no idea how to deal with this.

Good luck mama~

corrinacs
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 3:27 PM

Oh wow. yeah, I think with that turnover, any child is going to have behavior "problems".  If I noticed turnover like that, I'd really consider switching schools :/.  That's insane and they are obviously doing something VERY wrong.

Quoting lisahappymom:

The daycare has had major teacher turnover.  Two of the three teachers in my DS's classroom left within a week of each other in early January, and that's when his biting escalated to daily.  Last week they were finally back up to three full-time teachers in his room (instead of one full-time one with different subs everyday), and he only had two bites last week.  I think those numbers are quite telling.

Quoting corrinacs:

Hey mom,

Good luck mama~

Mipsy
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 3:52 PM

Have you bought teethers for him to bite on? He shouldn't be biting others period, no matter the reason. I would buy stuff for him to bite on

snowangel1979
by Bronze Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 4:04 PM
Just a question where are the teachers when he's biting? What do they do when he bites?

At 21months the teacher should be right there with the children. What's he in a under 2 room or a age 1-3 room.

It almost sounds like their trying to pass the blame because they're not watching him they way they should, sitting there chit chatting instead of watching the children. Or have more children then they can handle at one time. I know here under 3 It's supposed to be around a 1:4 ratio.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
iansmommy9
by Silver Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 4:45 PM
1 mom liked this

It feels good to know you know your child so well.

lisahappymom
by Bronze Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 10:12 PM

Last month we started putting a teeter on him that is attached to his shirt all day.  It has reduced some of his attempts, but not enough to reduce the overall bites.

Quoting Mipsy:

Have you bought teethers for him to bite on? He shouldn't be biting others period, no matter the reason. I would buy stuff for him to bite on

lisahappymom
by Bronze Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 10:15 PM

Yes, the meet the ratio requirements, but with subs in every day (until last week), I guess it was hard for them to keep each new sub up to date on my DS's needs.

I don't think they're trying to pass the blame so much as they are trying to be able to tell the other parents that the issue is being addressed.  I imagine they have been getting quite a few comments from the parents of some of the bitten kids.

Quoting snowangel1979:

Just a question where are the teachers when he's biting? What do they do when he bites?

At 21months the teacher should be right there with the children. What's he in a under 2 room or a age 1-3 room.

It almost sounds like their trying to pass the blame because they're not watching him they way they should, sitting there chit chatting instead of watching the children. Or have more children then they can handle at one time. I know here under 3 It's supposed to be around a 1:4 ratio.

lisahappymom
by Bronze Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 10:17 PM
1 mom liked this

They're one of the best daycare's in the area, but yes I agree that they were ill prepared for the impact of the loss of two of three teachers in that room and how have subs daily for over a month made it hard to provide continuity. 

Now that they are back up to full staff (and that my DS is almost done teething), I'm optimistic that things will improve nicely.   ...fingers crossed   :-)

Quoting corrinacs:

Oh wow. yeah, I think with that turnover, any child is going to have behavior "problems".  If I noticed turnover like that, I'd really consider switching schools :/.  That's insane and they are obviously doing something VERY wrong.

Quoting lisahappymom:

Quoting corrinacs:

Hey mom,

Good luck mama~

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)