Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

"Snapping" carseats onto shopping carts *EDIT*

Besides the obvious dangers of the carrier falling off--which I've seen happen TWICE!--did you know that it can damage the seat? Those "hooks" are what lock the carrier into the carseat base in your car. "Latching" the carseat onto the shopping cart can damage the mechanism, and this can cause the carrier to become unhooked from the base in an accident. Do you really want your baby to fly around the car?

*ETA*
Several people have asked for alternatives to putting the cart on top, so I thought I would update with some that I've seen/used.
1) wearing the baby. I know it doesn't work for everyone, though.
2) putting the carrier in the big basket and arranging your groceries around it. You also have the top area and under the basket to use.
3) bringing along a "shopping buddy" (or older child if you have one) to push a second cart.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 11:04 PM
Replies (11-20):
erinsmom1964
by Carrie on Feb. 20, 2013 at 12:03 AM
4 moms liked this
There was actually a seat made by Baby Trend that was made to latch onto the cart. Right in the instruction manuel .
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Lorelai_Nicole
by Bronze Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 12:05 AM
This is true. However, that is the ONLY seat that allows it, and they're rumored to be in the process of changing that as well. It's likely not going to be allowed anymore.

All other infant seats say specifically in the manual NOT to put them on top of shopping carts.

Quoting erinsmom1964:

There was actually a seat made by Baby Trend that was made to latch onto the cart. Right in the instruction manuel .
erinsmom1964
by Carrie on Feb. 20, 2013 at 12:07 AM
1 mom liked this
I know that I was simply supplying a fact that was obvious no one knew.

Quoting Lorelai_Nicole:

This is true. However, that is the ONLY seat that allows it, and they're rumored to be in the process of changing that as well. It's likely not going to be allowed anymore.

All other infant seats say specifically in the manual NOT to put them on top of shopping carts.

Quoting erinsmom1964:

.Angelica.
by Angie on Feb. 20, 2013 at 12:58 AM
2 moms liked this

I always thought it was easier to carry/wear my baby at the store. I skipped the infant seat altogher this last time around though.

ejsmom4604
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 1:03 AM

I used the carts that specifically had seats attached for infants, or I would bring in the stroller that went with the carrier/car seat when each of my boys were infants. Made more sense to me to do it that way. 

3lilmonsters88
by Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 1:06 AM
1 mom liked this
I did with my oldest but then again I was young and dumb. With my 2nd and 3rd I just out them in the sling.
squeakers2
by Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 1:18 AM

I did it for a short time with my oldest, then I got a sling and just wore her. I either wear my son or just put his car seat in the basket. There's usually someone else with me that can push another buggy.

I watched a baby almost fall from his car seat on top of the buggly to the floor bc he wasn't strapped in. He was just hanging backwards from the car seat. His mom and grandma were at the other end of the cart, not paying attention. I stopped and told them that the baby was gonna fall. Mom just leisurely strolled over (at which point I walked away bc I couldn't stand to watch if something happened, but my mom was behind me and saw the rest), picked up something the baby had dropped, then stood up and finally realized what I was saying. Next thing I know, I hear the mom yelling bc grandma had taken him out and never strapped him back in after she was done carrying him.

HyrulianHeroine
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 1:22 AM
1 mom liked this
When I was a first time teen mom I tried this. I attempted to put the seat onto the cart then realized how annoying it was instead of just slipping baby into the cart and how dangerous it was when I saw it wobbling, long story short I didn't even want bby in there and just put the whole seat inside the cart since I don't heavy shop unless dh is with me :P
Dreamer313
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 1:28 AM
I honestly never knew it was dangerous, until just recently! I've done it with both of my kids.
me-n-mygirls
by Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 1:38 AM
16 moms liked this
I have and do it.
I also never leave them. I am not taking in a 3 mth old, a 19 mth old, and a 3 yr old with a 6 yr old and a 10 yr old! baby stays in carrier while grocery shopping.
She is usually put in the stroller cause Kayden or Brady sit in the kid part.
I keep my eyes on my kids. Honestly I have never heard or seen it happen personally or know anyone who has seen it. only the internet or people who dont pay attention--agian the ones I have read.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)