Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

"Snapping" carseats onto shopping carts *EDIT*

Besides the obvious dangers of the carrier falling off--which I've seen happen TWICE!--did you know that it can damage the seat? Those "hooks" are what lock the carrier into the carseat base in your car. "Latching" the carseat onto the shopping cart can damage the mechanism, and this can cause the carrier to become unhooked from the base in an accident. Do you really want your baby to fly around the car?

*ETA*
Several people have asked for alternatives to putting the cart on top, so I thought I would update with some that I've seen/used.
1) wearing the baby. I know it doesn't work for everyone, though.
2) putting the carrier in the big basket and arranging your groceries around it. You also have the top area and under the basket to use.
3) bringing along a "shopping buddy" (or older child if you have one) to push a second cart.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 11:04 PM
Replies (41-50):
Duquesne
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 9:19 AM
1 mom liked this
Lol. This isn't an argument of opinion. Whether or not you "believe" a FACT, it is still true. It's like stating that you disagree that 2+2 actually does equal 4. Lol. And it's a thread spawned from another thread in this group about where to put infant car seats. Like people here don't have multiple kids or something. Lol.

If posting pertinent information regarding the safety of children is preachy, I'll be preachy. I'll take preachy over ignorant any day.

Quoting jteffs:

I think most of the problem is that the people who post this information are SO preachy, that anyone wth a different idea or opinion should just be shot.

And on top of that, this was posted this in a toddlers and preschoolers group - moms who no longer use an infant seat.

Are you looking for an entire thread of people to just agree with the OP and tell horror stories to continually proce her point?

Quoting Duquesne:

Fifty years ago, it was acceptable to not use car seats at all. Things change as we learn more. Damaging the locking mechanism of a car seat for the sake of convenience isn't "smallest crap." The car is already the most dangerous place for your infant to be WITHOUT compromising the functionality of the seat.

I'll never understand this attitude of ignoring safety precautions.

Quoting coupon_ash_back:

Ffs. I think everyone should do what they want. I bet moms from fifty years ago would think we are all dumb for freaking out over the smallest crap.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Lorelai_Nicole
by Silver Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 9:53 AM
I had a whole response typed up, then I read the response above this. She pretty much said it all. :)

Quoting jteffs:

I think most of the problem is that the people who post this information are SO preachy, that anyone wth a different idea or opinion should just be shot.

And on top of that, this was posted this in a toddlers and preschoolers group - moms who no longer use an infant seat.

Are you looking for an entire thread of people to just agree with the OP and tell horror stories to continually proce her point?

Quoting Duquesne:

Fifty years ago, it was acceptable to not use car seats at all. Things change as we learn more. Damaging the locking mechanism of a car seat for the sake of convenience isn't "smallest crap." The car is already the most dangerous place for your infant to be WITHOUT compromising the functionality of the seat.

I'll never understand this attitude of ignoring safety precautions.

Quoting coupon_ash_back:

Ffs. I think everyone should do what they want. I bet moms from fifty years ago would think we are all dumb for freaking out over the smallest crap.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KayelynnsMama
by Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 9:54 AM

Thank you for posting this, because it amazes me how many people DON'T know that this can damage the seat and is super dangerous!!!

Lorelai_Nicole
by Silver Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 9:55 AM
1 mom liked this
A "poor job getting the word out"?!? It's right there in the freaking manual!!!

Quoting HopesNDreams:

When these carriers first came out, you could put them in the seat on shopping carts. It was only years later that it changed. The car seat industry has done a poor job getting the word out.

There are many moms with older kids that are not aware of the new rules - car seats expire, no shopping carts, strict guidelines on buckle placement, etc. Therefore also many young moms being guided by older moms that are being given poor advice, though with good intents.

For every mom who is being holier-than-thou on tis issue, I can guarantee that there will be many, MANY safety guidelines that you follow religiously now that will be proven 'unsafe' in the years to come. Step down from the pedestal - everyone is doing the best they can.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ArtsyMama87
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 10:48 AM
7 moms liked this

I might not do things the way other mothers choose to do things. But attacking them over where the put their carseat when they shop, regardless of which side you're on, isn't going to save any lives. Do you honestly think that if you add a couple more exclamation marks, then someone on the other side of a computer screen will stop being offended by the attitude and suddenly say "oh my god! Everything about me as a parent is stupid and wrong! I'm so glad that random internet person took the time to belittle me and tell me how stupid I am!" 

I think there's something to be said for being an adult. You ladies may think that some of the other mom's are/were being unsafe with their child by putting them in that part of the shopping cart. Okay. You are entitled to that opinion. But perhaps we could discuss it like adults instead of arguing like the toddlers and preschoolers for which the group is named? 

Ladies, you're arguing with people who were clearly on your side of the issue just because they were trying to give some insight into why the mistake is often made. 

me-n-mygirls
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 11:16 AM
It doesnt ever "lock" it mearly sits there--which is why it is never left unattended.
Honestly I have trouble unlocking it from the freakin stroller!!

Quoting Lorelai_Nicole:

So you don't care that you are damaging your carseat?

Quoting me-n-mygirls:

I have and do it.

I also never leave them. I am not taking in a 3 mth old, a 19 mth old, and a 3 yr old with a 6 yr old and a 10 yr old! baby stays in carrier while grocery shopping.

She is usually put in the stroller cause Kayden or Brady sit in the kid part.

I keep my eyes on my kids. Honestly I have never heard or seen it happen personally or know anyone who has seen it. only the internet or people who dont pay attention--agian the ones I have read.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LntLckrsCmQut
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 12:06 PM
1 mom liked this

I never understood the appeal of even carrying those heavy ass carriers anywhere. It seems like such a pain.

Junebaby18
by Nannerz on Feb. 20, 2013 at 12:08 PM
I did it with all three of my babies and neither of them ever fell out. I also didn't walk any distance away from the cart either. I always had one hand on the cart at all times.
ZakkarysMom
by Bronze Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 12:09 PM
Omg how awful!!

Quoting nicki.hemingway:

I see it all the time.  There was a baby near where I live who died when they fell face first out of a cart onto the asphalt.  He was still strapped into the seat. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bebe_ju-rah
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 12:18 PM
Never heard of this...
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN