Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

oh the why stage!

Posted by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 12:13 PM
  • 30 Replies

My toddler has entered the "why" stage.  It's been going on for a few months now and I'm running out of answers for him!  I try to avoid the dreaded why by answering his question before he asks it.  When he asks what I'm doing I say something along the lines of "I'm putting the wash in the dryer so we can have dry clothes."  But it's always followed with "why?".  Goodness!  I didn't want to be one of those that always went with the phrase "because I said so" but I find myself starting to use it!  Just a funny phase toddlers go through. 

by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 12:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mamamedic69
by Deanna on Feb. 21, 2013 at 12:16 PM
My dd is going through the same thing. When I get to where I can't answer anymore I tell her let's look it up and the distraction works for a while.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
kaves
by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 12:26 PM

That's a good idea!  I think I might try that with mine.

Quoting mamamedic69:

My dd is going through the same thing. When I get to where I can't answer anymore I tell her let's look it up and the distraction works for a while.

Marimaru
by Member on Feb. 21, 2013 at 12:41 PM
1 mom liked this

It doesn't matter if you give a reason, lol.  I started countering with "Why not?"

RobynS
by Robyn on Feb. 21, 2013 at 12:51 PM

My mom used to answer her day care kids "why" questions by saying, "to make little girls (boys) ask questions." teehee

RobynS
by Robyn on Feb. 21, 2013 at 12:53 PM
1 mom liked this

I intentionally don't answer before they ask, because I know they'll still ask and then I'll need a follow-up answer! LOL

Oh, and beware... just when you think the why stage is over, it comes back. They go through it at various ages. But remember, it's a GOOD thing. They are learning! :)

corrinacs
by Platinum Member on Feb. 21, 2013 at 2:02 PM

Oh yeah :).  Kid sthis age are just hungry for knowledge.  So, to help, perhaps give him tons of books about science, etc.  Help him learn tons of stuff that's interesting :).

destiny2nv
by Member on Feb. 21, 2013 at 2:05 PM
Its better then what I'm dealing with. Ds 3 is repeating himself over and ovet and over. It makes me feel bad! Like I Don t talk to him enough, but I know I do. How old is your LO?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
kaves
by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 2:32 PM
1 mom liked this

Yep I'm definitely going to have to stop answering questions first because the why is always there either way!  Even though it gets a little tedious at times I am glad he's asking questions like you said it's a good thing.  Shows he's developing the way he should be too. 

Quoting RobynS:

I intentionally don't answer before they ask, because I know they'll still ask and then I'll need a follow-up answer! LOL

Oh, and beware... just when you think the why stage is over, it comes back. They go through it at various ages. But remember, it's a GOOD thing. They are learning! :)

kaves
by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 2:34 PM

My guy is going to be three in a couple months.  Maybe the repeating is just your sons way of absorbing things and learning?

Quoting destiny2nv:

Its better then what I'm dealing with. Ds 3 is repeating himself over and ovet and over. It makes me feel bad! Like I Don t talk to him enough, but I know I do. How old is your LO?

kaves
by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 2:43 PM

That's a great idea! Like most boys he loves things like dinosaurs, cars, airplanes, stuff like that.  I'm sure he'd love books on those things!

Quoting corrinacs:

Oh yeah :).  Kid sthis age are just hungry for knowledge.  So, to help, perhaps give him tons of books about science, etc.  Help him learn tons of stuff that's interesting :).

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)