Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Ask a preschool teacher!

Posted by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 11:33 PM
  • 32 Replies

So I am a preschool teacher and I want to know what parents think of some of the things to do with preschool. Answer whatever you want in the comments. Message me any questions.

1) How do you feel about naptime? Yes. No. Longer. Shorter.

2) Should kids be allowed to wear diapers to preschool?

3) Should teachers be able to help kids in the bathroom?

4) Should preschool be coed?

5) Should preschool be a large or small class?

Once again message me any questions you got.

by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 11:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jenn8604
by Jennifer on Feb. 23, 2013 at 11:37 PM
1.Rest period
2.If they are special ed.
3. They need help sometimes getting pants up and being reminded to wipe for the girls. and make sure they wash hands.
4. Yes
5. No more than 10 kids and a few aides added. One on one always works best for little kids.

Quoting Mommy1022526:

So I am a preschool teacher and I want to know what parents think of some of the things to do with preschool. Answer whatever you want in the comments. Message me any questions.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ragitty
by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 11:43 PM

yes

no--unless there are extenuating circumstances

yes

yes

depends on definition and student-teacher ratios. I think 15-20 kids for 2-3 teachers is good.

preacherskid
by Bronze Member on Feb. 23, 2013 at 11:50 PM

Quoting Mommy1022526:

1. Yes, no longer than two hours for my ydd, no longer than three for my odd- naps should be slightly customizable, each of my children has different sleep patterns, so their napping needs are a bit different

2. If the child is not potty trained, imo they are not ready for preschool

3. Yes teachers should be able to help- my odd is fully potty trained but every now and then forgets to wipe off properly- a simple reminder is all she needs before she hops off the toilet

4. Yes preschool should be coed, children should have the opportunity to learn to interact with both genders, and all cultures

5. Small class- preschoolers are a needy bunch, and in general need a lot of one on one attention.  Unless the larger class has sufficent aides for the teacher, you run the risk of a child being "lost" in the crowd.

CafeMom Tickers
collinsmommy0
by Silver Member on Feb. 24, 2013 at 12:13 AM
1 no.
2 only if there are special needs
3 yes
4 yes
5 smaller class. I think it's kind of sad that 3 & 4 year olds have to compete for the attention of 1 adult for every 8-10 kids. I would rather send my child to a class with a 6 to 1 ratio or so. We will homeschool partly for the class size issue

Quoting Mommy1022526:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Mrs.Bolin
by on Feb. 24, 2013 at 12:25 AM

yes to naptime

No kids should not wear diapers, pullups can be worn. Our headstart program helps with potty training

yes teacher should help these lil kids in the bathroom. ours do

yes to coed

i dont like so many kids being in the class but their are 18 kids in my daughters class and two teachers

Most of the teacher in our headstart dont seem to be too kid friendly. They arent that peppy around the kids. They should be.Im not saying they should be nutty happy but they could be a little more up-beat with the kids. Seems like they really dont enjoy thier job. they are just their to do thier job and get out.Mostly because i know some of these women and ive seen it and you can stand outside the doors and listen to them.

brittany208
by Bronze Member on Feb. 24, 2013 at 9:01 AM

1) How do you feel about naptime? Yes! They take a 2hr naptime in my 3yo's class. If the kids don't want to sleep, they can play quietly, but most sleep. If 3yo's don't need a little rest time, the class probably isn't exciting enough for them. I want DS's preschool to wear his little butt out! lol

2) Should kids be allowed to wear diapers to preschool? I think diapers should be discouraged, in that parents should try everything they can to get their kids potty trained first. But if a child is really having difficulty getting trained (especially if they have some sort of disability), then the teacher should be able to take care of that too. Especially with 3yo's. Mine was newly trained, but it wasn't a problem if he had an accident or anything.

3) Should teachers be able to help kids in the bathroom? Yes. They should encourage the children to do as much as they can by themselves, but yes they should be able to help when needed.

4) Should preschool be coed? Yes

5) Should preschool be a large or small class? Depends on the child/family and what is best for them. Some parents want a small class where the kid gets lots of individual attention. I like a bigger class where he can have lots of social interaction. But obviously not so big the teachers can't watch them all or that it becomes unmanageable. I think there are 17 kids in DS's class if everyone is there that day? but not everyone goes every day. we dont.

mariesmama
by on Feb. 24, 2013 at 9:43 AM

theres no naptme at my 3 yr olds preschool my question is why is she sick every other week?

Snapdragon88
by Member on Feb. 24, 2013 at 11:15 AM
1.) No, he's only in preschool for 3 hours a day.

2.) No

3.) No... but maybe under special circumstances and only with a teacher the parent knows and trusts.

4.) Yes

5.) Small
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommy02cooper
by on Feb. 24, 2013 at 1:15 PM

1 depends on how long they are there my son goes for only 2.5yr per day so no nap needed. I provide daycare with preschool all day so yes need naps with long days.

2 no diaper but pulls ups if needed

3 yes if potty training kids do need help at times

4 yes boys and girls should be together

5 depends on child's needs my son has 20 at full capacity with teacher and aid but other kids only have 7 max for special needs with 3-4 teacher/aids per class

Quoting Mommy1022526:

addiesmommy1109
by Member on Feb. 24, 2013 at 1:20 PM
1: If it is a full day preschool a rest period should be provided. My dd doesn't ever nap but needs a "quiet time"
2: only in special circumstances
3: a teacher should be available if the child needs help buttoning pants, washing hands, etc
4: yes
5: no more than 15 children for one teacher and 1-2 aides

Quoting Mommy1022526:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)