Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

TV - How Much & How Often, & At What Age? **EDIT**

Posted by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 1:14 AM
  • 29 Replies
My DH and I have differing viewpoints on TV. We have a 21 month old.

I say a ~20 minutes a day of educational TV is fine. We ditched cable when I decided to stay home, so we have public broadcasting available - Sesame Street (she likes Elmo - has a stuffed Elmo doll) would be a favorite.

He says that according to the American Academy of Pediatrics, there should be NO TV or video of any kind before age 2, and he agrees with that.

What are your thoughts on this?

1) should children under 2 be allowed to view TV?
2) regardless of age, how often?
3) and for how long @ each viewing session?
I'd love to hear your thoughts.

**EDIT**

For those that want information about studies, below are some links. I watched a study on YouTube about TV contributing to A.D.D. in toddlers, but now I cannot find it. I'll continue to look for it though.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/HEALTH/03/03/babies.watch.TV/index.html

http://childdevelopmentinfo.com/kids-media/babies-television.shtml

http://www.med.umich.edu/yourchild/topics/tv.htm

http://psychcentral.com/blog/archives/2009/09/27/the-debilitating-effects-of-tv-on-children/

http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,1882560,00.html

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 1:14 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 1:23 AM

AAP has that recommendation because there are no studies on under 2...

We have our tv on when we are home and my kids have always watched it.  They would always rather be doing something else but it's on if they want to check in.  My kids are perfectly healthy, active, intelligent children.  

Im fairly certain Sesame Street had a huge part in my son learning his letters before 3 and super why taught them to my dd before her 2nd birthday.  

I don't have any issues with age appropriate tv on in my home if we are home.

Mommyfish831
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 1:28 AM

In my experience at that age their not interested in the show for very long anyways.  I'd say its ok and when she leaves to go play just turn the TV off.  If by some chance she is interested in a show and actually sits to watch it, maybe no mare than an hour a day if your concerned about the amount of TV watched.

doulala
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 2:37 AM

The less exposure the better!!

My thoughts are that it might seem harmless but it is not.   It might seem "educational" but really not in the way we intend it to be-

Avoiding media exposure is safest.

1)   no
2)   they don't need any, so the less the better
3)   what can your minimum be?

pmsforlife
by Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 3:01 AM
I don't limit my kids...
doulala
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 3:09 AM

Are you concerned about the impact on growth and development?

Quoting pmsforlife:

I don't limit my kids...
pmsforlife
by Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 3:25 AM
No, my 2 yr old has the vocabulary of a 4 yr old, my 4 yr old speaks 2 languages, and my 6 yrold is top of his class. As long as I work with them and teach them things everyday, tv isn't a big deal.
doulala
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 3:32 AM
Quoting pmsforlife:

No, my 2 yr old has the vocabulary of a 4 yr old, my 4 yr old speaks 2 languages, and my 6 yrold is top of his class. As long as I work with them and teach them things everyday, tv isn't a big deal.

IME it doesn't help (hinders creativity-- more relevant), that is why I wondered.  

bhwrn1
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 5:30 AM

under 2 very little, maybe 30 minutes a day. Over 2 a little more, mostly educational although I do let them watch fun stuff

SarahSuzyQ
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 9:04 AM
I limit TV pretty heavily, and my son is 5. He watches TV for half an hour 3-4 times per week... Maybe not even that much if he doesn't watch with Dad on the weekends, and almost never in the summer. We also have family movie night every other week in the winter.

Be cautious about types of shows, too. Studies have shown that the type of show can really impact behavior. We've cut back to only select PBS Kids shows.

I know we're a little extreme, but it wouldn't take much for my son to be hooked on screen time. Every kid is different, but TV doesn't do much for any child's development...
ATL958
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 9:33 AM
There have been some studies...please see the added links for additional information.

Quoting Luvmy2babies22:

AAP has that recommendation because there are no studies on under 2...

We have our tv on when we are home and my kids have always watched it.  They would always rather be doing something else but it's on if they want to check in.  My kids are perfectly healthy, active, intelligent children.  

Im fairly certain Sesame Street had a huge part in my son learning his letters before 3 and super why taught them to my dd before her 2nd birthday.  

I don't have any issues with age appropriate tv on in my home if we are home.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)