Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How to stop the happy/ excited screaming

Posted by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 11:59 AM
  • 8 Replies

DS is almost 3 and doesn't talk yet. He's in speech therapy but still doesn't know how to communicate very much. When he gets excited or happy or sometimes when he is bored, he screams SO LOUD. I've never heard a child scream as loud as he can. He does it at home, in the car, at the store, church (that one is fun), when he wakes up in the middle of the night (different from his "OH NO, where is mommy?" scream), etc. We tell him no when he does it and a few times when he just won't stop, I've sent him to time out. I'll often put him on my lap and tell him I know he's excited, but he can't scream like that. It doesn't seem to help. Any ideas? Anyone dealt with this? We live in an apartment and we've already had complaints about other noise DS makes.

Thanks in advance!

by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 11:59 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 2:08 PM

other than just reinforcing "inside voices" I'm not sure.  here's a bump though.

emarin77
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 2:32 PM

Hon, he needs to to be in a specialized program at pre-school if he is unable to communicate.  Putting in time out is not going to work in the long run. 

corrinacs
by Platinum Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 3:36 PM

I wish I knew.  I would say modeling would be the best.  The more you can model what they are supposed to do, the better.  But it sounds like its an automatic response, not something that's totally purposeful. 

Wish I had more on this for you mama!

Duquesne
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 3:37 PM
I whisper back and I don't really acknowledge the actual behavior. He doesn't do it anymore. He's 22mo
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
iansmommy9
by Silver Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 4:11 PM

I do the same with my 2 1/2 year old. It takes a little while. You might consider getting some ideas from your speech therapist.

Quoting Duquesne:

I whisper back and I don't really acknowledge the actual behavior. He doesn't do it anymore. He's 22mo

mariesmama
by Gold Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 4:22 PM

do what i do with my 3 yr old who used to do that put your finger infront of you lips and shhh now she imitates it when others are too loud speech therapy does wonders and because she has issues trying new foods i'm gonna talk to the school about occupational therapy too

collinsmommy0
by Silver Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 5:28 PM
Can you make a chart with a small mouth, medium mouth, & big mouth....then talk to him about quiet (small) mouth is 'shhhhh' (have him imitate or whisper, etc), how a talking (medium) mouth is talking, and loud is 'yayayayayatayay!' (Screaming).

Give him time to scream - middle of the day? At a park? Etc.....then remind him about talking mouth, quiet mouth, etc. if he likes something, like trains, relate it to that - quiet train horn, talking train horn, loud train horn, etc
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
greenishgirl
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 8:00 PM

thanks for the ideas. I know a lot of times I feel like I have to yell at him to stop in order for him to hear me over his screaming, I'll try talking really quiet and see if he responds. He has a speech therapy appointment tomorrow so I'll ask her if she has any ideas.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)