Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Yellow teeth?

Posted by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 4:20 PM
  • 31 Replies
Hello ladies! I just noticed my 18 month old sons tops of his teeth are yellowish colored. I never noticed this before, but then again I've never looked at his teeth up close with a flashlight. Some of you may have read my post the other day about DS chipping his tooth? Well were waiting for his first dentist appointment now, but i shined a flashlight in his mouth just now during his nap because I wanted to see the chip because its causing me so much pain while nursing. So sure enough the chip is extrememly pointy, sharp and jagged. Then I noticed the yellow! I even tried to scrape it off with my fingernail and it barely came off, although obviously if its just plaque it won't scrub off unless I use a brush and baking soda or adult paste.. I brush him twice a day and he doesn't eat many sugary substances! Omg I'd hate myself if he had decay! I always followed the baby bottle tooth decay rule and he NEVER went to bed sipping on a bottle (well he really never took a bottle, only breast), I always brush his teeth twice a day.. I have a friend whose 6 year old DD had her two front teeth pulled at age 3 cuz of Bbtd and her big kid teeth haven't grown in yet and she's been so self conscious her whole life because of it. I'd be so embarassed and guilty if my poor DS had something irreversible done this to his teeth! :( *tears*

Any advice? Could it just be plaque? He fights me tooth and nail to brush twice a day but I always manage to get the brush in his mouth for 20 seconds before he takes over.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 4:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Gweneveer
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 4:28 PM
Has he been on a lot.of antibiotics? Sometimes that can discolor teeth.
xxshelbyxxx
by Bronze Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 9:06 PM
No :(
PEEK05
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 9:24 PM

It could be dying from the chip.

Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 9:43 PM

My son's teeth are yellowed.  I think he gets it from my DH.  one of his top front baby teeth has spots on it and at one of his first cleanings the hygienist tried to tell me it was poor brushing UNTIL she tried to scrape it off and saw that it was just the color of his teeth.  she apologized :)

My DD's teeth are perfectly white.  I spoke with the hygienist last week and she said it's just the way it is and sometimes the permanent teeth are totally different.

mypbandj
by Jen on Feb. 25, 2013 at 10:08 PM
Decay usually starts off as white spots that later turn yellow/brown. And it's up near the gum line where the guns are.

Besides brushing, limiting how often he has snacks/drinks also helps prevent decay since even one sip or one bite causes an acid attack on the teeth for 20 minutes! (And the acid weakens the teeth)! And every sip or bite afterwards, restarts the clock!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mypbandj
by Jen on Feb. 25, 2013 at 10:11 PM

The white spots I was talking about.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hollydaze1974
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 10:33 PM
Sometimes it is just genetics, or it could be the chip causing it.
All I can reccommend until the dental appt. is dental wax on that area to alliviate nursing pain.
xxshelbyxxx
by Bronze Member on Feb. 26, 2013 at 7:30 AM
What is dental wax and where can I get it? Never heard of it but it sounds like a miracle worker right about now cuz I didn't think there was a damn thing in the world that I could use on my books or on DS's teeth that would make them less sharp while nursing!

Quoting hollydaze1974:

Sometimes it is just genetics, or it could be the chip causing it.

All I can reccommend until the dental appt. is dental wax on that area to alliviate nursing pain.

xxshelbyxxx
by Bronze Member on Feb. 26, 2013 at 7:31 AM
Yeah I read that online yesterday but the only reason I don't think it's from the chip is cuz it's on more then one tooth :( poo poo

Quoting PEEK05:

It could be dying from the chip.

xxshelbyxxx
by Bronze Member on Feb. 26, 2013 at 7:35 AM
Oh wow... I didn't know teeth could be colored differently due to Genetics. Learn something new every day! Well on one hand I'm hoping it IS just plaque build up that can be scraped away at his dentist appointment, because I can't imagine him having yellowy colored teeth permanently just .. Because. But on the other hand I don't want it to be plaque because that means were not brushing good enough and it could become decay which id never in a million years forgive myself for! We brush his teethies twice a day since his first tooth popped and he eats a very limited amount of sugary food and drink.. So I'd be super bummed if it were decay.

Quoting Luvmy2babies22:

My son's teeth are yellowed.  I think he gets it from my DH.  one of his top front baby teeth has spots on it and at one of his first cleanings the hygienist tried to tell me it was poor brushing UNTIL she tried to scrape it off and saw that it was just the color of his teeth.  she apologized :)

My DD's teeth are perfectly white.  I spoke with the hygienist last week and she said it's just the way it is and sometimes the permanent teeth are totally different.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)