Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Tips or advice for flying with a toddler?

Posted by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 6:32 PM
  • 7 Replies

In a few months I will be flying solo with my ds. I am just trying to gets tips/advice to let it go a little more smoothly.

eta: He is 14 months right now. It will be anywhere between 3-5 months from now. We are not sure of the exact date yet, it will more than likely sooner than later. I am a a bit of a planner, lol

eta: It will be 90 min for the first plane. The depending on which time we go a 30min-1hour and 45 min before the next plane. Then A 2-3 hour flight after that

by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 6:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
collinsmommy0
by Silver Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 6:45 PM
How long is the flight? We flew -DH, DS, & I from the west coast & back over the holidays (& a 2-3 hour drive to family after the flights)

Prepare by reading airplane books & getting your LO excited. DS was 19 months & super excited - versus 7 months old, scared, & a disaster.

Bring lots of snacks, extra diapers, extra water, lots of toys. I wrapped presents for DS & he opened them on the plane. I brought stickers, books, Sesame Street characters, little things of play doh, light up button toys, treats (he had a lollipop for landing, first time ever eating one):...... And he played on the iPad with us for 30 min-1 hour on the flights.

DS did not sleep much on the plane but I hear a lot of kids do.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
zinniadaisy
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 6:48 PM

portable DVD player

brightonsmom12
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 6:51 PM

It will be 90 min for the first plane. The depending on which time we go a 30min-1hour and 45 min before the next plane. Then A 2-3 hour flight after that. 

Quoting collinsmommy0:

How long is the flight? We flew -DH, DS, & I from the west coast & back over the holidays (& a 2-3 hour drive to family after the flights)

Prepare by reading airplane books & getting your LO excited. DS was 19 months & super excited - versus 7 months old, scared, & a disaster.

Bring lots of snacks, extra diapers, extra water, lots of toys. I wrapped presents for DS & he opened them on the plane. I brought stickers, books, Sesame Street characters, little things of play doh, light up button toys, treats (he had a lollipop for landing, first time ever eating one):...... And he played on the iPad with us for 30 min-1 hour on the flights.

tifbrown
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 6:52 PM
iPad, iPod, iPhone, something he can play on or watch videos. Snacks and water. And, explain it over and over beforehand. Get him ready for it and keep him occupied.
brightonsmom12
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 7:27 PM

BUMP!

collinsmommy0
by Silver Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 9:08 PM
I highly recommend staying off of the play areas. We made the mistake of letting DS go on that & he had a nasty nasty stomach bug a few days after we got home :/

DS loved the people movers, walking around looking at the lights on the stores, etc. walk around a lot between flights!

Our flights were 5-6 hours, then a 2 hour drive. The worst part was the drive TBH because DS was 'done' by then.

Quoting brightonsmom12:

It will be 90 min for the first plane. The depending on which time we go a 30min-1hour and 45 min before the next plane. Then A 2-3 hour flight after that. 

Quoting collinsmommy0:

Megara
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 9:12 PM

I flew with my 2 by myself last year.  I wore my 2 year old in a sling around the airport so my hands were free for bags, getting out ID, holding DD's hand, etc.  You are not allowed to wear a child in a carrier once the plane is in the air, however.  I also packed each kid a bag with a few new toys (mostly from the Target dollar bin), a box of crayons, a new coloring book, gummies and candies.  I took an empty sippy cup for DS to fill with juice bought after security.  I loaded a few short cartoons on my Kindle Fire for them to watch and had headphones for each of them.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN